PDA

View Full Version : Warped Discs?

cam7777
21-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Hi All

I am having problems with my brakes and wonder if anyone has had similar issues.
I have a 2003 1.9TDi hatchback, 77K miles with FSH.
I had some OEM discs fitted but these soon showed the symptoms of being warped (the car feels jerky under light braking and shakes when braking from 70 MPH.
I changed all 4 discs and pads (brembo) and all was fine for about 4K miles then the problem returned so I changed the front discs again, this time I bought unipart items, 4-5K later and problem returns.

I dont drive hard, I am very light on the brakes as most of my driving is motorway. The brakes are not binding in any way so I am now out of ideas so my question is this:
Is there anything else that I have overlooked? I have no knocking from the front end and everything feels tight, I have even tried booking the car in for diagnoses but (as expected) they found nothing wrong....Any ideas?

mluton
21-02-2008, 09:50 AM
try here also: www.briskoda.net

have you had all of your wheels balanced as that can cause jerky braking being out of balance.

Welcome to the forum

JWR
10-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi.
I too have the same problem. I have a 1.4 16v which I bought in May 2007. We took it on the continent and the steering wheel shook when braking at 70mph. Futhermore, the car feel a little jerky when braking lightly. Skoda did change one element of the brakes, the pads?, but not the discs? (I'm guessing the pads are cheaper than the discs). Nontheless there's little improvement and Skoda never find anything wrong when the car is checked over.

Hi All

I am having problems with my brakes and wonder if anyone has had similar issues.
I have a 2003 1.9TDi hatchback, 77K miles with FSH.
I had some OEM discs fitted but these soon showed the symptoms of being warped (the car feels jerky under light braking and shakes when braking from 70 MPH.
I changed all 4 discs and pads (brembo) and all was fine for about 4K miles then the problem returned so I changed the front discs again, this time I bought unipart items, 4-5K later and problem returns.

I dont drive hard, I am very light on the brakes as most of my driving is motorway. The brakes are not binding in any way so I am now out of ideas so my question is this:
Is there anything else that I have overlooked? I have no knocking from the front end and everything feels tight, I have even tried booking the car in for diagnoses but (as expected) they found nothing wrong....Any ideas?

Crasher
10-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Warped hubs, checked with a dial gauge after removing the discs, very common on the 1J0 (Golf 4 etc) and 9N (Polo/Fabia/Ibiza) platforms. Fit new discs to warped hubs and you soon have warped discs again. This only appears to seriously afflict cars with the 5x100 stud pattern. We first came across this on the 5 stud Golf 3 but 4 stud models rarely suffered.