PDA

View Full Version : Window stops 1cm before top - regulator??

idower
20-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Hi

So i have a 1996 Passat and recently the drivers window has been acting up. It goes down no problem. When i put it up, it stops about 1cm before the top of the window frame and then makes a horrible grinding sound. Sounds like gears grinding.

If i grab the window with one hand on either side, i can pull it all the way to the top.

I pulled off the panel, and looked around but did not see anything obvious. I have a feeling that the issue is with the regulator, but i am looking for some other opinions to make sure.

Any thoughts?

thanks!!
Ian

erico
19-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Hi

So i have a 1996 Passat and recently the drivers window has been acting up. It goes down no problem. When i put it up, it stops about 1cm before the top of the window frame and then makes a horrible grinding sound. Sounds like gears grinding.

If i grab the window with one hand on either side, i can pull it all the way to the top.

I pulled off the panel, and looked around but did not see anything obvious. I have a feeling that the issue is with the regulator, but i am looking for some other opinions to make sure.

Any thoughts?

thanks!!
Ian

Yes. When the mechanical part (teeth) of the window regulator have wear on them at the end of their travel, your problem is a common one.
The door outer channel also wears out so take a close look at it. I also replaced the outer door window satin seal.
The end result was a door that worked again as new with no wind noise or water leaks.
cheers,
Erico

macollin5750
29-09-2009, 06:11 PM
I have the same problem and a good zecond hand regulator is hard to find.

erico
24-11-2009, 07:43 PM
I have the same problem and a good zecond hand regulator is hard to find.
That is a fact.
We sold our Passat one year ago and replaced it with a 2002 Golf TDI 1.9l
It doesn't have electrical windows. But it is fun to drive on the Autobahn. 175 KM/H for 100 Km is nice.

Good luck on your search for the elusive second-hand "good" regulator. :)