PDA

View Full Version : Please Help "T4 Wont start" :(

Bev@calshot
20-02-2008, 09:23 PM
He does his best ...bless him, but he is stuck and I am fed up with being cold (as he insists I stand next to him!)

Our T4 is being naughty, there was a noise which apparently sounded like a sticky hydraulic tappet. It was difficult to start but did and when it finally got going, lots of smoke ...possibly white.

in his ultimate wisdom, he decided that one of the injectors was probably faulty, and as he nearly ran out of diesel at about the time our woes started. He concluded he was right.

With 15 liters of diesel in the tank he put enough REDEX in the tank for 100 liters.

Then he decided to take all the pipes off the injectors. To see if the diesel injector was working!

NOW the VAN will not start.

Is there some way of bleeding the system, he has a T4 owners manual and it has pictures but no reference to how to bleed it :(

PLEASE HELP,

carbon
20-02-2008, 10:03 PM
A little more information may help is it a 1.9d, 2.4d or 2.5TDi, but having said that are the glow plugs working. Without these working some of these engines can be extremely difficult to start when cold. The white smoke may be a result of the glow plugs not working and the long time cranking to get it started. If fuel is coming out of the injector pipes then there shouldn’t be any need to bleed the system.

Bev@calshot
20-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Carbon, it is a 1.9 tdi ... he has just finished the glow plug test thread

your help is sooo much appreciated ...thankyou in advance

kenney
20-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Hi (sounded like a sticky hydraulic tappet lots of smoke ...possibly white.)I think maybe the timming belt has jumped a tooth.You should check this first before you try starting it again.

Bev@calshot
21-02-2008, 08:48 AM
kenney for obvious reasons "COST" and "buggerance factor" skipped tooth is the one I am wishing it isnt.

even with a skipped tooth it should fire up, or at least it has been. I just dont understand why it worked then when I took the injector pipes off it didnt. :confused:

Brian (bashing head against side of van)

Bev@calshot
21-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Kenney you were right, belt slipped looks like 5 valves are bent or at least 5 tappets arent lifting back when I loosened the rocker assembly. :(

More help required... how do you get the wheel (sprocket thing) off the rocker assembly, I have tried a flywheel puller but it doesnt get behind the thing!

And as the head is coming off ....tips would be helpful with removal and putting the damn thing on!

Thankyou in advance

trainee grease monkey!

1.9 tdi 196,000 miles P reg and looking good in black