PDA

View Full Version : heater fan problem

doc
17-11-2006, 12:01 AM
A4 Avant 1.9 tdi 110bhp 1999
Hi. I have started having a problem with my heater fan which does not work at all from first starting the car from cold. The heater bar indicator ramps up when engine warm but the fan does not blow! This fault seems to be intermittent at present! Can anyone give me some pointers!:1zhelp:

jak
17-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Check out the post below. Titled - dual climate,i'm getting cold

sh4dy
21-11-2006, 09:49 AM
oh i had this problem only last week..... on my A4 tdi 110 SE

The fans would not kick in until the car suddenly jerked i.e. dropping it into first gear from second...

took it to the garage and the mechanic took out the fan unit and said that it seemed the bushes or something like that within the unit were worn and were causing a short circuit some how!!

He tapped the unit and put it back in and it worked again temporarily....

ultimately had to buy a new unit which ended up costing £125 including fitting!!

james0808
21-11-2006, 02:15 PM
This is a very common fault which normally needs a new motor.

sh4dy
22-11-2006, 11:30 AM
thats good to know..... so he didnt just charge me a bomb for no reason

james0808
22-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Sorry for my dud info just noticed yours is a B5.:Blush2:

stua4
22-11-2006, 11:41 PM
yes, I had this problem too and now it does not work at all!
I just got myself a cable and software and am going to run a scan tomorrow to see if it is electrical.
Will let you know how I get on.

grsait
26-11-2006, 11:05 PM
my heater blower has just died on me too. why do these things only happen when its cold outside?
anyone know the cost of a replacement motor?

james0808
26-11-2006, 11:27 PM
Not only when its cold,mine went the day i had my windows tinted and it was red hot.I couldn't wind the windows down and it was like an oven.

stua4
21-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Hi people,
I still have not got round to getting this fixed.
I just plugged my laptop in though and ran a vag scan.
I got one error message unde the engine area which was;
16500 - Engine Coolant TempSensor (G62) Implausible signal.

I'm guessing this won't be the cause to no fan though?

warptechno
23-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Hi,
Had the same heater fan problems. The simple solution is to replace the brushes on the fan. Remove the fan unit from under the passenger side dashboard and have a look for 2 metal clips at either side of the fan unit. Unclip these clips and they house the brushes (be careful as there is a spring under the clip which pushes the brush onto the blower motor). The brush is connected to a wire which in turn is connected to the motor. I simply clipped the wire half way so as you have enough wire to re connect to your new brush. I had spare brushes which came with a power drill which a filed briefly to fit in the spaces for the brushes. I connected the new brush to the wire using a spade (soldering would work) and hey presto! Has been working like new since - and saves blowing (pardon the pun!):Blush2: 100-150 quid on a new/re con blower!:Blush:

TONE
25-01-2007, 08:10 PM
I have put up with this problem for weeks how annoying,however read somewhere about removing fan and turning brushes 180 degrees.. it appears to have worked.............. Tone

stua4
25-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Hmmm, I have put up with mine since November time!!! Mine goes in for a service next week anyway (it was due to go in last Friday but the Brand new super duper Norwch Audi centre got the roof blown off in the high winds the night before I took my car in!!!) Can anyone give me detailed instructions on how to get to these 'brushes'? It may save me a few notes next week.
Thanks in advance.

TONE
25-01-2007, 08:57 PM
do you have haynes manual... worth its weight in gold. get one... any way back to job in hand... remove glove box held in with torx head screws 7 screws. next undo brackets holding air bag in place,4 10mm head bolts. lift gently out of way so fan can be removed,did not even have to take wire off airbag,fan is held in with 4 pozi head screws and 2 wires attached,lift out fan. ease fan out of its casing its held in by 3 rubber mountings which pull out gently. then you can see shiny clips holding brushes in place.ease clips off and pull out spring followed by brush turn half a turn then replace followed by springs and clips... replace everything and if it works again I hope you are as pleased as I was

stua4
25-01-2007, 09:04 PM
CHeers Tone, I have been trying to get a haynes but cant find one anywhere!!!! Will search the net and get one for weekend. Thanks again

mpep666
25-01-2007, 09:06 PM
RIGHT THEN KIDS THIS IS DEAD EASY
STEP 1 BLOWER MOTOR IS LOCATED BEHIND GLOVEBOX REMOVE THE BOX THEN REMOVE THE BLOWER MOTOR HOUSING
STEP 2 CAREFULLY REMOVE THE PLASTIC SHROUD FROM THE MOTOR IT DOES COME APART ITS NOT A MOULDED ITEM LIKE AUDI WILL TELL YOU
LOCATE THE BRUSHES ON THE ENDS OF THE WIRE THAT PASSES THROUGH SMALL SPRINGS AND THEN ONTO THE MOTOR COMMUTATOR
YOU WILL FIND THE WIRE FOR THE BRUSH IS WRAPPED IN THE SPRING RELEASE IT AND PASS THE WIRE THROUGH THE CENTRE OF THE SPRING THIS BASICALY GIVES A FEW MORE MILL OF MOVEMENT IE WEAR ON THE BRUSH
STEP3 CLEAN THE COMMUTATOR THE BIT THE BRUSH TOUCHES EASY WAY TO DO THIS IS A BIT OF WET AND DRY ON A LOLLY STICK THEN ROTATE MOTOR UNTILL COMMUATOR IS NICE AND SHINY
STEP 4 BLOW OFF ALL DUST AND CLEAN PARTS THEN PUT THE MOTOR AND SHROUD BACK TOGETHER YOU CAN TEST IT OUT OF THE CAR BY PASSING 12 VOLTS THROUGH IT IF ALL IS OK PUT IT BACK IN YOUR CAR MAKING A NOTE OF THE BRUSH SIZE SO YOU CAN ORDER A COUPLE LATER TO REPLACE THE OLD ONES THEY COST A FEW POUNDS FROM WASHING MACHINE MAINTAINERS WHICH IS BETTER THAN THE HUNDRED POUNDS FOR A NEW MOTOR
IF THE MOTOR DOES NOT WORK AFTER THIS AND YOUR SURE THE BRUSH IS MAKING PROPER CONTACT THEN CHECK THE MOTOR IS ABLE TO TURN IF IT CANT FREE IT UP IT MAY BE JAMMED WITH DEBRIS IF IT DOES TURN THEN YOUR MOTOR IS BURNT OUT ALSO PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE MOTOR IS GETTING VOLTAGE FROM THE CAR AS THIS CAN BE AN EMBARASING FUSE PROBLEM DONT ASK ME HOW I KNOW LOL
ANY Q FIRE AWAY HOPE YOU ALL SAVE HUNDREDS OF POUNDS ON THIS COMMON AUDI VW SKODA AND SEAT PROBLEM :D

TONE
25-01-2007, 09:50 PM
check out my replies

mpep666
25-01-2007, 10:27 PM
IF YOU TURN THE BRUSHES 180 DEGREES YOUR BASICLY PUTTING THE LONGEST PART OF THE BRUSH BACK ON THE COMMUTATOR, GREAT STUFF!! YOU SAY, YES BUT WHAT YOUR ACTUALLY DOING INADVERTANTLY IS REDUCING THE CONTACT AREA BETWEEN THE BRUSH FACE AND THE COMMUTATOR THIS CAN PRODUCING SPARKING "NOT GOOD" ESPECIALY WHEN IT SITS A FEW INCHES FROM YOUR EXPLOSIVE AIRBAG, IM NOT SAYING THAT THE WORST COULD HAPPEN BUT STRANGER THINGS HAVE.
ANOTHER POINT IS THE LONGER PART OF YOUR BRUSH IS NOW ON ITS EDGES THE BRUSH IS JUST A LUMP OF CARBON AND IS VERY BRITTLE WHICH MEANS IT COULD BREAK AND THEN JAM YOUR MOTOR POSSIBLY CAUSING MORE DAMAGE .
IF YOU HAVE TO TURN THE BRUSHES 180 DEGREES USE IT AS A TEMPORARY MEASURE ONLY AND GET NEW BRUSHES THEY ARE VERY CHEAP AFTER ALL AND WILL PROLONG THE LIFE OF YOUR HEATER FAN
:D

TONE
25-01-2007, 11:27 PM
thanks for the reply,any idea where to get new brushes.safe bet vw wont sell you them seperate

mpep666
26-01-2007, 12:08 AM
TONE YOUR RIGHT VW WONT EVEN TRY TO SELL YOU THE BRUSHES BUT THESE MOTORS BRUSHES ARE GENERIC TO MORE THAN ONE APPLICATION
I FOUND A CLOSE MATCH AT MY LOCAL HOOVER REPAIR SHOP JUST TOOK THE OLD ONE IN AND THEY GAVE ME THE CLOSEST SIZE THEY HAD I BELIEVE FROM A TUMBLE DRYER OTHER PEOPLE HAVE BOUGHT THEM FROM ELECTRIC DRILL MAINTAINERS ALSO EBAY CAN HELP TAKE A LOOK AT ITEM 220073140129 IM NOT SAYING THEY ARE THE RIGHT SIZE BUT YOU GET THE IDEA IF THE BRUSHES YOU OBTAIN ARE SLIGHTLY TO BIG THEY ARE EASILY FILED TO SIZE HOPE THIS HELPS YOU, IF I CAN FIND A SET OF BRUSHES OUT THERE I WILL PUT THERE COMMON PART NUMBER IN HERE :D

stua4
01-02-2007, 02:01 PM
Hi Lads,
I can't find an A4 manual for the B6, does not even appear on the haynes UK website. Anyone got any ideas where i can get one from?