PDA

View Full Version : Mk4 Golf TDI 150

GKMVW
16-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Hi, I'm looking to buy a TDI 150 (expensive!!) and have just viewed what appears to be a very tidy silver one. However not being familiar with the Mk4 Golf I was put off by what looked like an unusual weld line at the back of the spare wheel area - was this just the standard VW finnish? (I'm viewing a second at the weekend so this will confirm I'm sure) Are there any pitfalls/things to look out for with this model?

adamss24
17-11-2006, 06:52 AM
Do a HPI check on it as it might have been rear shunted at some point. Was the paint different looking at the car from different angles ? Check the gaps look equal as vw had a high quality fit and finnish, so, any missaligned pannels might confirm that. Also look underneath for new(soft) underseal and signs of overspray. Listen for unusual engine ratlles as the camshaft is known as an Achile's heel(cost big bucks to fix !), gearbox should be slick and precise(any unusual whine=worn bearings), noisy driveshafts and steering on full lock, knocks from front of the car,also check the book/ask owner when the cambelt was done(should be replaced every 50-60k/4-5 years, whichever came first and its a 600+ bill from vw) and look for a slipping clutch . Other than that it should be a solid and reliable car you will enjoy everytime you get in to it. Budget for an oil and filters change as soon as you buy it if the car needs a service. Good luck.

GKMVW
19-11-2006, 01:31 AM
Many thanks for the advice. The second car I viewed had the same type of finish so seems this is how they are. Wainting to find out if a 3rd car is still available as looks good on the web at a decent price only 148 miles away though...

VWTDIMAN
04-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Hi

To be honest, I'd go for the MKV Tdi 140. I've driven the MkIV and this one and there's no comparison and, yes, it's worth the extra 4-5k (if you can afford it that is).

Martin