PDA

View Full Version : Help A3 Unable to select Reverse Gear

avitmark
20-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Hello

Hoping people can throw some light on this problem, i have 1.9 tdi a3 (130) 2002, 50k on clock(had from new).

Car always ran find suddenly this morning went to park up and found could not / get select reverse gear, gate well and truly shut, did not force it, tried selecting reverse with engine off still no joy.The gearbox has never ever given indication of problem occuring always been sweet as nut

I am still about to select all 6 forward gears with no probs drives ok, but no reverse so have 2 pick place to stop etc.

Could it be clutch adjustment?? delving in the engine bay, it appears to go in 6th gear via the manually linkage. So fault appears away from gearbox.??Linkage visually appears in order.How does reversing switch connect into the linkage mechanism??? could it be this stopping it

Any ideas:confused:

Mark

Crasher
20-02-2008, 02:54 PM
I would think it is a linkage or box selector problem. If it was clutch related you would not get forward gears and it would select if the engine wasn't running.

avitmark
21-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks Crasher,
Booked in with local garage for monday, they think it could be along selector lines.Is this normally expensive ??

Crasher
22-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Difficult to say on that.

avitmark
24-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks Crasher,
the saga continues had my friend round this morning talking over the problem went through the box etc without engine running, after a bit we heard a sound like"twang" or whiring noise. After this i was able to select reverse and drive/ move car in reverse.
Now for punchline, went to put in first gear to pull away but nothing the same in second just no drive, i can choose 3,4,5,6 and pull away.

No drive in 1 or 2 is a case off selector broke .Any Thoughts would be appreciated.

Mark

Crasher
24-02-2008, 02:30 PM
PM me the cars reg and your email address, I will send you some info.

sdk778
25-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Hi, had a similar fault with my wife's A3 just before xmas, no 1st 2nd 3rd gear or reverse, turned out to be a £8 plastic clip on the top of the gearbox, replaced that and all ok again, unsure as to whether this is the same fault as yours but it may be worth a look, there are two of these clips on the top of the gearbox.:approve:

avitmark
25-02-2008, 09:27 PM
did these two clips prevent to you getting into gear or once there causing into jam there so you could,nt move it out again/ change

avitmark
25-02-2008, 09:29 PM
Crasher,

Have pm you ? did you receive it?

thanks Mark

sdk778
25-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Didn't jam in gear, could never get it in!!! Pain.

curiousgeorge
25-02-2008, 11:46 PM
I get this occasionally with mine, I also got it with my old Honda Civic. I just select first and then I'm usually able to get into reverse.

Crasher
26-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Mark, did you get the email?

avitmark
26-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks Crasher,

Absolute diamond, gives me enough to plough through.

Still hard to believe having trouble like this with only 50k on clock

Thanks

Mark

avitmark
06-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Just to close this thread off.

End result gearbox out found the 1st to 2nd selector fork has a plate RIVETED on to the fork which i believes is also part of reverse pick up? THE RIVET SHEARED, what a cheap and nasty way to secure it.

I am lead to believe this is unusual for the six speed box to do this. Just my luck!!.

While box out changed clutch assembly and DM Flywheel more a case of precaution and prudency.

abomb
20-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Damn, my A3 just developed identical symptoms... no reverse then after a bunch of gear selections it came back... but now i've lost 1st and 2nd ever since!

Avitmark, this sounds like a big job. Was it expensive?

avitmark
20-11-2011, 10:17 PM
sorry to hear that, hope it is not,

cost £1150 for gearbox rebuild and £650 for new clutch and dm wheel changed as part of good practice.

the gearbox rebuild was done by Gravesham Transmissions who come well recommened

abomb
21-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Gulp.

I feared something like that. Thanks for getting back to me and for the recomendation but Gravesham is a bit far. Besides i have a local guy who is quite good (if not a bit pricey)