PDA

View Full Version : spare key

bd108800
16-11-2006, 02:40 PM
I have recently got myself a Mk4 GT TDI, although it has only come with one key. I obviously would like to get a spare but from what I can gather they can be rather pricey if you go to VW, does anyone know a good way to get a spare sorted for a reasonable price? I have looked on ebay and have found you can buy the remote and blank key, but that holds 2 problems a) i dont want to take my only key apart to find out the number to get the right one in case I break it and b) I will still have to get it cut and programmed. Any help greatly appreciated!?

adamss24
16-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Hi, be carefull when getting stuff from ebay as i had the nasty surprise to get a dud (bought a key for a 98 A4, got the key and transponder from a 2001 audi and the fob for a mk4 vw !) If you buy of ebay, make shure you get exactly the same part number as yours. Just pry open with a flat screwdriver in the notch under the vw badge and it will slide open. The code will be like:HLO 1JO 959 753 A and 433 MHz. The immobiliser will need programming trough diagnostic equipment, so it will recognize the transponder. If you are near London, i could program the keys for you. You could get an uncut key for a tenner and have it cut for 3-5 pounds. If your existing fob is the same nr as the one i have listed let us know and we could work something out !

id0mrg
18-11-2006, 06:27 PM
An alternative way to get a new blade is to contact the locksmith who helped me. I found him through eBay and he can cut and send to you a new blade either from your key number if you have it or from a decent digital photo. The key number is usually to be found on a label on the black tag that is attached to the spare black plastic key. I had mislaid my spare and so sent a digital photo. He sent a perfect copy and identified the key number for me which matched the key number on my label when I subsequently found my plastic spare. The cost of the blade, cutting and shipping was £9.54. I had previously paid £10 to a local place just for the cutting. Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll put you in touch with him. HTH.:Blush: