PDA

View Full Version : TDI 140 performance question

Matt_Storm
19-02-2008, 03:05 PM
I asked a few weeks back but no one seems to have replied :1zhelp:

I have an A3 TDI 140 remapped to 185BHP im looking to upgrade the exhaust system and buy an induction kit- was just after some advice if anyone could point me towards the better products to use for this kind of power. Also if i buy a de-cat system does anyone know if this will effect the MOT?

Any other power mod tips not resulting in unreliability greatly received!

Thank you.

ady@RA
19-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Go for a Milltek Cat back exhaust m8. You could add the cat replacement downpipe also.

You will need to keep a cat on for the mot though.

Have you thought about a panel filter?

Ady

Matt_Storm
19-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Go for a Milltek Cat back exhaust m8. You could add the cat replacement downpipe also.

You will need to keep a cat on for the mot though.

Have you thought about a panel filter?

Ady

Ah brilliant thanks! someone else has mentioned Miltec a few times on here so im guessing they are the nuts.
Im not too sure about the panel filter- this whole TDI tuning thing is new to me i was a mk1 golf gti man before i bought the Audi so im kind of getting to grips with it all. Are panel filters better then?
Thanks M

ady@RA
19-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Milltek are very well made m8. You definately get what you pay for.

As for the filters. Its not that they are better its a case of what is available for your car. For example I would love a Carbon Ram air from Oettinger but they dont do 1 for my T5 :( . So i ended up with a K&N Filter which is perfect for me.

K&N do a 57i Induction kit and Oettinger do a Carbon Ram air :D for yours.

Matt_Storm
19-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Great ill check them out, thanks for all the advice!

ady@RA
19-02-2008, 09:09 PM
No probs. If i can help anymore just pm me.

Space Cadet
20-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Miltek are great quality, have used them loads and have a cat-back on my 3.2Q.

A de-cat would probably fail the car at MOT time, but sports-cats are almost as good as de-cats and obviously you don’t have the hassle of having to mess around swapping the de-cat for the old cat at MOT time.

Don’t know for certain but Miltek will probably do one.

Induction kits are a definite no-no on anything other than track cars where there is a constant supply of dry cold air at high speeds. On a normal car an induction kit will probably actually loose the car power.

Would definitely recommend a non-oiled panel filter such as Green or Pipercross (I use Pipercross), this way you can use the standard air-box and just upgrade the filter.

Truthfully speaking though the VAG filters are adequate up to 500-600 bhp, but if like me you want to gain that couple of extra bhp then there is no harm – just don’t get an oiled one (such as K&N).

Would be worth getting an uprated re-circulating ‘dump-valve’, these are standard sounding but upgraded internals, the “whoosh” ones are called atmospheric and IMO don’t sound great but again actually loose the engine power rather than keeping it in the system.