PDA

View Full Version : Body Control Unit Failure

Kevin Costello
18-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Convenience Control Unit / Electrical Prob :-

Interior Lights / Fuel Flap / Central Locking / Windows not working but Car Alarm going off when car locked up.
Our Family Passat 2003 TDi SE elec sys seems to be deteriorating every couple of days :
Fuel Flap switch not working followed interior lights etc.
I can still drive car but the alarm goes off after I've parked up / locked it up.

the AA man ( who asisted me cos I could n't release the fuel flap at the garage forcourt showed me how to release the flap manually by taking the rear left interior trim panel inside the boot bay ) said the problem is likely water / damp in the Body Control Unit below the Left Front seat / footwell carpet.
I have removed the Front Passenger seat but dont know how to get under the carpet.

1. Does anyone know if this BCU is indeed under this carpet and
2. Can you dry the BCU out overnight .

I have been warned by by local garage that BCU will cost around £550 to replace.
So I thought I would try to see if I can dry it out first.
Thanks Team for any ideas / hints or tips what I can do next cos there is no cutout in the carpet and I dont want to damage the plastic trim door sealing strips getting under the carpet to find out the BCU is n't there anyway !

Sorry, I have searched thro 7 pages of prob logs in the Forum but cant find anything similar to this prob.
kev costello

Crasher
18-02-2008, 05:59 PM
Lift up the passenger’s floor carpet and sound deadening (remove the kick panel and sill edge trim) and see if it is wet. The unit is more commonly known as a convenience unit and it is usually corroded wiring that cause thee problem. The unit, if required, is £205.65 and is quite simple to install and would require programming.

Kevin Costello
18-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks
Do you know how I remove the sill kick panel ? ie
Do I unscrew the sill screws underneath the car ( on the outside of the car and underneath )
Do I simply pull off the Door Rubber Sealing Strip to relaese the sill plastic trim.

Thank you for the advice Crasher.

kev

Crasher
18-02-2008, 06:25 PM
The kick panel is removed by removing the small plastic cover cap at its base and then the cross head screw behind and the one at the top of the trim, then the trim pulls away from a ratchet clip. The sill trim unclips from the sill edge but takes quite a lot of force to pull up and I just fold it back out the way, taking care not to crack it.

Kevin Costello
18-02-2008, 06:33 PM
I missed the screw at the top last night in the dark !
Thats why, I think, the trim didn't pull away gently.
Its gonna be -8degC outside tonight so i might not try again tonight - Im a coward in the cold - Im no Husky dog ha ha
Thanks v much Crasher
cheers
kev

Crasher
18-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Not all have the top screw but the ratchet clip at the top is very strong. I absolutely hate the cold as well; I just seize up and can't think straight.

Kevin Costello
18-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Cheers Crasher