PDA

View Full Version : Passat tuning

chez08
18-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Hey people, i've jus bought a "1998 Passat 18T sport turbo 20v" which comes with 150bhp as standard. I was looking for information on how much higher i can raise that bhp with tuning? Any info would grand! :biglaugh:

Transporter13
18-02-2008, 10:00 PM
How much money have you got?????;)

seriously though you can easily be running around 200bhp for not too much outlay

ECU remap £250-450 ish depending where you go
Mine went up to 192bhp from just this alone

Cat back exhaust an extra 10% apparently £300 upwards

After that its
Decat pipe
Uprated turbo
Uprated intercooler
Another remap to go with new parts

Quite common to see these engines running 350+ bhp

Dont forget about uprating the brakes, suspension and clutch if you do start going big power though eh;)

Ive more than likely missed something that no doubt will be pointed out but I hope this has helped

chez08
18-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Whoa that sounds awesome. I found out from google about the remapping shortly after posting the thread >>>> This site looks pretty good http://www.supertuning.co.uk/volkswagen-remaps-34.htm , apparently they come to your house! All the other info that you wrote is an interesting education too, thanks man. :beerchug:

chez08
19-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Hey Transporter13 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=32186), do you think it would be necessary to update any car parts i.e. breaks, clutch if i just went ahead with a standard re-map up to 192bhp?

ady@RA
19-02-2008, 02:49 PM
More than likely the brakes and maybe the clutch depending on how old the clutch is.

gav_j_crompton
19-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Could be worth talking to some of the tuners on here, they are in the "Site Sponsors - Dedicated Areas & Website Links" area and they should be able to help with your questions. I have had dealings with chipped uk and chip-n-spin both are very helpful although any of the tuning company's in this section will be able to help, depending on where you live will depend who you are likely to be able to go to get the work done.

chez08
19-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Cool, i'll have a look. :approve:

Transporter13
19-02-2008, 06:17 PM
hey gav, how much did you get out of yours on the day? I left while yours was on the rollers.....also how was the drive home to devon?;)

The pics of our cars that you took look good btw:beerchug:

Transporter13
19-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Hey Transporter13 (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=32186), do you think it would be necessary to update any car parts i.e. breaks, clutch if i just went ahead with a standard re-map up to 192bhp?

I havent as yet but after coming back from the test drive once Id been remapped, my brakes were actually on fire!!! Had to leave the car stationary for a while...brakes are due to be replaced soon anyway and havent been throwing the anchor out too much since.

Get it done is what I will say cos since I did the car has been a joy to drive...P*****G all manner of cars off with acceleration from any speed from 10mph up to 50/60 when lorries pull in from there seemingly endless overtakes, it just goes and unless the guy/gal behind you is clued up then you just leave people behind!!

Its not out and out kick you in the nuts fast but you will be happy with the results im sure;)

gav_j_crompton
20-02-2008, 12:45 PM
High Transporter13,

In the end I it was 175bhp and 316 ft/lb torque