PDA

View Full Version : Turbo problems?

Gracie
18-02-2008, 11:46 AM
My VW Golf GT TDI 1.9 110bhp (2000) 84k lost power on my way to work this morning (grr!) I was a bit lazy changing gear having just left my house going onto a straight so the revs got high (wasn't looking, but as if it hit limit), i subsequently lost acceleration power. Tried changing down gears to get up speed but pedal to the metal i still struggled to hit 60mph.

Been reading threads about this 'Limp Mode'... i'm guessing its something like that, but i can't hear my turbo whistle now :( Worried the turbo may be bust.

It was -3.5 this morning and i booted it pretty soon after starting... could this have caused my problem? I live in the backend of beyond, only one VW garage for miles... bunch of numpties, so want some idea of what may be the problem before reluctantly taking it to them

FLENG2008
18-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Sounds Like You Have The Dreaded Sticking Vanes Like Me And Most On Here!!

Gracie
18-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Is that expensive to put right?

FLENG2008
18-02-2008, 12:16 PM
not the cheapest, depending on how good you are with your hands, crasher diagnosed my car and said it would have to take the turbo off and get it cleaned by himself and then clean out egr and inlet manifold
:zx11:

Gracie
18-02-2008, 12:27 PM
hmmm... only ever worked on a 1979 beetle. Don't think i'm so brave to tinker with my Golf though. Should i not be driving it with this problem?

FLENG2008
18-02-2008, 12:52 PM
hmmm... only ever worked on a 1979 beetle. Don't think i'm so brave to tinker with my Golf though. Should i not be driving it with this problem?

i think its safe to drive, mine has been like this for about 6moths, its a safety device when it throws it into limp mode. i just flick the ignition off then on on the motorway etc. the more i look at the problem the more i want to just tackle it myself and get it done but not much spare time at the min, get your self a haynes manual removing the turbo is described as a 3/5 for difficulty hope this helps

edit: if you know anyone with a vag com get it plugged in first to make sure, sometimes it can be freed off with a few vag com tests apparently??