PDA

View Full Version : Advice On brakes

grahamcoutts
17-02-2008, 11:53 PM
Hi Everyone. Soon I will be replacing the disc and pads all round on my 98 1.8T A6 and was thinking of just going to my local parts store to get pads and discs. But was thinking of just getting the cheap ones or is it best to get a brand make. Looked at EBC and ATE Power Brakes but is it worth speanding a bit more on brand make and if anyone has any ideas on makes?

mluton
18-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Have a look at the mintex sets on ebay, you can ussually get front pads and disc for about £60 or full sets for around £140.

I have the mintex's on mine and they are great to date.

grahamcoutts
18-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Do you find the Mintex better than the official Audi ones?

dandam
18-02-2008, 03:47 PM
You need to be really heavy on the brakes to notice a huge difference between different types of pads and discs. Whilst I would never recommend using the cheapest available, expensive isn't always best (I had tar ox grooved discs and pads on a Golf once, not worth the additional expense over GSF's finest).

It is worth checking all of the pipes and condition of the calipers though, a thorough service on the brakes could well be better value than expensive pads

chrisvrscrx
18-02-2008, 04:02 PM
GSF are cheap I got disc and pads all round (discs were BREMBO) for about £120!

grahamcoutts
18-02-2008, 06:52 PM
By the sound of things GSF seems to be the best place. I think I'll try my parts store to see what makes they do. I thought buying more expensive pads and disc's would be better, but by you guys experience there is no difference or very little.

ajc
02-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Just a little taken back on waht has been said here ! I was under the impression that the discs cost a fortune ! My mate said when i first bought my A6 1.9tdi 2000 that the discs are about £110 each corner. Mine needs some soon so what can anyone suggest what to go for on mine and how much i might be looking at for some new discs, And i will be wanting new pads too. Thanks.

obg
02-03-2008, 08:59 PM
The best pads in my opinion on the market are Ferodo Premier, I always find cheap pads tend to give of more brake dust. Ferodo make brakes for most of the car makers.

chat
12-03-2008, 04:47 PM
I bought a complete set of EBC discs and pads front and rear for my 2004 1,9 TDI Sport from Brakes 4u.co.uk for £170.

Just a word of warning though. By all means have a go at the fronts, but be careful with the rears.

Firstly, if you move the caliper too much to fit the new disc then you risk shearing the brake pipe which has only a short flexible section. If you do this you are in big trouble as you will have no brakes and the car will be immobile so you cant drive to an Audi dealer for the new part, which with fluid will cost you £30. Also they cannot be effectively bled by the normal method after fluid loss even with a power bleeding kit.

I have managed to get some brakes, at the bottom of travel, so the car is drivable at slow speed, but its booked into the local Audi dealer on Monday for them to sort them out with the diagnostic equipment which opens the valves on the ABS unit, and acheives the hard pedal that you require. This will be another £120! and all in all your car will be virtually unusable for several days, not to mention the hassle!

Furthermore you need a special tool to progressively wind back the pistons in the rear calipers.

My advice is dont attempt to do the rears yourself. Take it to a garage, I certainly would not have attempted this with the benefit of hindsight.

Crasher
12-03-2008, 04:52 PM
Fit genuine VAG Dacromet coated discs and Textar (OE Porsche) pads.

salty
12-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Hi Everyone. Soon I will be replacing the disc and pads all round on my 98 1.8T A6 and was thinking of just going to my local parts store to get pads and discs. But was thinking of just getting the cheap ones or is it best to get a brand make. Looked at EBC and ATE Power Brakes but is it worth speanding a bit more on brand make and if anyone has any ideas on makes?
TRY www.buypartsby.co.uk (http://www.buypartsby.co.uk) had rear discs and pads for my 1997 a6 delivery took 24 hrs and i had change from £50 both discs and pads are performing well i have no complaints but plenty of prase:Blush: