PDA

View Full Version : Rear wiper motor

Harry
14-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Hello, can anyone help me with my rear wiper motor for an A3 1.8T sport. Motor seems to have packed up and has blown fuses, changed fuse still no good so tried another wiper motor that i acquired and this one doesn't work either (any suggestions).
Doe's anyone know the wiring code so that i can check the pins on the motor and also the wiring loom in the car.

Cheers Harry

Boardboy
16-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi Harry
The manual shows the wiring to the motor as pin 1 Brown and is the earth, pin 2 green/red from wash/wipe switch and washer pump,it also goes to intermittent wiper control, pin 3 green/white from wash/wipe switch and washer pump again, pin 4 black/brown from main fuse box (fuse f27 10amp).
Have you tried your original motor connected electrically to the car but not fitted through the tail gate? Just wondering if the splined portion can rotate freely. I had a Golf that the splined portion had corroded in the boss.
Regards Boardboy

greasemonkey
17-11-2006, 08:12 PM
could be a broken wire earthing out on the chassis, with the boot raised look for a rubber boot (near the hinges) pull boot of and inspect wires (give them a gentel pull), in my experience this is a common fault on most cars

bonWarrior
30-12-2006, 06:10 PM
Hi All
Similar problem to yours except that the rear wiper has just 'frozen' mid wipe. The fuse has not blown so could it be a short somewhere as well, or is it more likely to be the motor itself?
Cheers

T-Sport
03-01-2007, 07:20 PM
I had a similar problem on my A3 with the front wiper and thought the motor was dying as it kept stopping half way up the screen and blowing the fuse but it turned out to be caused by the wiper sissor mechanism seizeing up from lack of lubrication which in turn had put too much stress on the motor and knackered it acording to Audi ...

They recommended replaceing the motor and mechanism assembly which set me back £350 but as ive had the car for 3 years now and its done 144k with no other major expenses to cough out on i happily paid it...

bonWarrior
03-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks for that. I am not sure how the rear assembly works but I suspect the motor drives the blade directly. Anyone know? :confused:

Sly
16-04-2007, 11:14 AM
I have the same car, different problem, well maybe!

The motor does drive the blade directly. The tail gate cover just pops off (quite a stiff tug) with metal spring clips. The washer pipe goes straight through the middle of the motor via a copper tube which in my case has sheared and now leaks into the boot.

On your motor is a little black plastic cover which clips off and there is a surprisingly complicated circuit board just to control a wiper! If you have a leak like me this could have filled up and got wet, may be worth drying it out.

If that's not the case and the motor is knackered, can I have first dibs on your copper pipe please?!

Good luck...

Sly

MCR
15-02-2008, 02:33 PM
my front motor is making a greating noise, the car has done around 140,000 miles.

would you expect its probably the bearings in the motor and I will need a new one?

Thanks,

Martin