PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Turbo /intercooler Hoses ?

danielintheuk
16-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Hi people .

Got a fault on my 1997 passat tdi 110 bhp and am really scratching my head now ?

The turbo has always been quite noisy , the noise is hard to explain, maybe like the sound of blowing air, but also a bit metallic aswell. Anyway I noticed a hole on one of the pipes ...it was the one coming out of the intercooler ...just before where it goes to the egr valve and the manifold, there is a rubber connecting pipe and this is what had the hole. For a temp repair I removed this , wrapped it in gaffer tape ,and refitted it with the jubilee clips holidng the gaffer tape down . and this seemed to really improve the car, more power, and no nosie from the turbo ( apart from normal whistle).

Few weeks later and the turbo started making a very high pitched squeal when under load, so I have took this connecting pipe off to inspect, and the leak has worked its way through the gaffer tape. I have now aquired a new connecting pipe, fitted it, the high pitched squealing noise has gone, but the original noise has come back. I have now gaffer taped up the new pipe just to make sure it is solid, and that has made no difference.

Sorry this explanation isnt the best, but does anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be, and what i need to do.

For reference the rest of the hoses, and joins are tight and look fine, no holes etc. Also there is some oil in the intercooler pipe, its just a film of dirty sticky oil, not puddles of it.

Thanks in advance folks .

Dan

Eddie
16-02-2008, 11:22 PM
They are also renowned for blowing the big hose at the back of the turbo it has ceramic fittings i think check the outlet side of the turbo

danielintheuk
17-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Cheers for the reply , i`ll have a look , dont suppose you have any pics of what i`m looking for?

Dan

danielintheuk
17-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Just looked underneath the car where the turbo is, all the hoses are connected tight, no sign of oil leakeage.

I`m wondering if when I fixed the previous rubber pipe with gaffer tape, it still allowed some air to escape...and now that I have put on a good rubber pipe and the gaffer tape, this area is now fully secure , which is now showing up a problem elsewhere?

Any advice really appreciated as the car is definitly down on power.

Eddie
17-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Ime afraid ime not the baron von richtofen on turbos m8 try asking crasher he may know

danielintheuk
20-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Car is now going into limp mode when I get on the motorway.... its not even a case of me driving it hard, it just seems to go into limp mode at about 60mph no matter how hard I accelerate, can an air leak cause this ?

Cheers :)

tdi till I die
12-03-2008, 11:14 PM
Hello
Did you ever get to the bottom of this issue?
Ive got a similar issue with my golf (without the limp mode) - the wheezing turbo and the lack of power on the motorway.
Is it simple to see a leaky pipe? - i guess you dont hang under the engine with it running to check? Will it show with any soot, oil marks on the intercooler pipes or on the engine?
Im trying the simple low cost things first!!
Thanks,

danielintheuk
12-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Hi mate ..didnt really get to the bottom of the noise that sounded like an air leak, but I did get rid of the limp mode problem, it turned out a vacuum pipe had come off the hose which comes out of the intercooler and leads to the inlet manifold, the exact bit was the solid pipe which runs parallel to the bulkhead.

I still have some noise which I dont think should be there, but the car is pulling well again now.

A very basic thing I tried to look for leaks was I made an attachement which fitted to a foot pump ( them weak ones for inflatable toys)and fitted into the pipe which is the one that leads from the outlet on the turbo, I then undone the pipe at thwe other end of the system just before it enters the manifold, I then got an assistant to pump the footpump while I checked air was coming through other end, i then held hand over it to make sure it built up pressure, which it did, but not much. This is not really a very good method, but i`m sure if you had a massive leak rather than something very slight, it would probably pinpoint where air is leaking.

Good luck mate and let me know what happens :)

Dan