PDA

View Full Version : Ibiza timing belt replacement

davyboy888
16-02-2008, 05:53 PM
Living on the edge has been a hallmark of my life and more evidence of this emerged this morning when I found out that the cam belt on the 10 year old SEAT Ibiza I got from my dad a 4 years ago, which now has 62K miles on the clock, has never had a cam belt change !

I was thinking of doing the job myself but before I dive in, I just wondered if anyone out there has done it and if so how easy it is. In particular :

o Whether the motor has to come out of the car to do it.
o Whether I can simply undo a tensioner, slip the belt off and the new one on, or do I need to retime the engine... i.e. will anything move.
o Any other do's don'ts.

All help/advice welcome.

TezZbag
16-02-2008, 07:46 PM
I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to stuff like this so I would recommend getting it done at your local garage just for the piece of mind that it will have been done right because the results of a failure are super painful.

davyboy888
16-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Ya I know what you mean alright, but I've done timing chains before, albeit a very long time ago, so hopefully I'd be up to a belt. Hopefully someone who's done one on a Polo or Ibiza can allay my fears !

TezZbag
16-02-2008, 11:51 PM
I had a look around the net and found this page, could be useful to you, looks like he's doing a mk4 Golf.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4212995.html

davyboy888
17-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Great, thanks for that.

darren_mcvicar
24-02-2008, 02:53 PM
if u got no mechanical knowlage just take it too a garge all it takes is the slip of a tooth and your lookin at a new engine