PDA

View Full Version : power steering adjustment

melliandra
16-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Hi, Is it possible to adjust the power steering on a Caravelle?
I drive off hand controls and use a steering wheel knob to help me turn the steering wheel. I am finding it difficult to operate one handed as my arm stregnth is gettting weaker.
I have had my hubby change the fluid and have checked the tire pressures, but the steering is still too heavy for me to use safely.

kenney
16-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi There is adjustment, but this will not help to reduce the power you need, to turn the steering.There is a vane pump which is used on vehicles which are constructed for invalds,this is what you need you can steer the wheel with your wee finger.You would need to get in touch with a company that reconstruct vehicles for invaids to get a price for the part.The pump itself is very easy to replace.

melliandra
16-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.
I guess now the trick is to persuade them to sell me tyhe pump so my hubby can fit it. Rather than pay them to do the job.
Ah well, unless I ask I will never know. :o

kenney
16-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi again. I think these vain pumps come from the states,you could try searching the nett,might get it cheaper from there.

melliandra
19-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Well now I am even more confused.
I just got off the phone to a company that carry out work on disabled vehicles, including the job mentioned above.
They are saying it involves adjusting the steering rack and have quoted me £755! :aargh4:
No mention was mad about fitting a vane/vain pump.

Not sure how to proceed now. Any ideas?