PDA

View Full Version : Device status not found or not ready?

VtecJunkie
16-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Hello, I have an OBD 2 cable and have installed the relevant drivers and ross-tech software with success. I have been following the instructions and when i plug the device in when the ignition is turned on and run the test it comes up with; ''Com port status; ok... Interface status; 3- not found or not ready''... what does this mean? cheers

Eshrules
16-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Hello, I have an OBD 2 cable and have installed the relevant drivers and ross-tech software with success. I have been following the instructions and when i plug the device in when the ignition is turned on and run the test it comes up with; Not found or not ready... what does this mean? cheers

hi

is the cable 3rd party or a rosstech cable?

within vagcom, there is a function to check that the cable is establishing comms correctly.

9/10 times , with a 3rd party cable, the com port is mismatched, between the vagcom software and the register in the hardware profile.

VtecJunkie
16-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply mate, this is the cable i am using; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300196678090&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=020 Sorry i am not very good with computers, can the problem you outligned be resolved and if so how would i go about it?

VtecJunkie
16-02-2008, 04:03 PM
I thought i should add i installed version 311.2, would it be worth trying version 409.1 and seeing if that works any better?

VtecJunkie
16-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Update;

I did a search on here and found out how to align the ports from another memers post;

To set these as the same, do the following. (the interface needs to be plugged into your pc, but not necessarily your car) 1. make a note of the port number that seems to find the interface in the VAG-COM software 2. close the program and right-click on the my computer icon, then select manage from system tools, select device managerand then expand 4. it should be clear which port is for your interface by the description 5. right-click the icon and choose properties, followed by the port settings tab. 6. click the advanced button and change the port number to the same as the one you noted from the software earlier. 7. click ok on all the windows and close the device manager. 8. restart the VAG-COM software and try to connect to your car again.

Now the interface status reads ''found and read'' but i have another message below it saying; ''fast-synch compatible; NO'' what does this mean? Is it ready to use or do i have another problem? Thanks in adavance, i am finally getting somewhere!:beerchug:

VtecJunkie
16-02-2008, 04:44 PM
DONE IT!!

Absolutely delighted, i managed to connect and scan and it found the fault; intermittant fault on ignitor, resistance too high or something. I cleared the code and the airbag light is off now so all my airbags work :D

I'm not sure if it will re-appear or not, if it does i will have to investigate further. Thanks for all the help and i hope this can help other too :)

VtecJunkie
16-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Just to say i have driven the car a few times now since clearing the fault codes and have had no problems thus far, the light has not re-appeared... hopefully it will stay like that.

I presume it would have re-appeared by now if the fault was still there?

Theresias
16-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Please take a general suggestion/advice. When dealing with airbag related faults never just clear codes, always make sure to actually check the fault/component. Besides that problems will reappear sooner or later there is some risk an airbag might deploy incidentally.

VtecJunkie
17-02-2008, 01:05 AM
From my understanding my problem is a faulty connector under the seat? From my research this usually occurs when the seat is moved up and down or forward and back... therfore I don't see how clearing the fault code can be a problem, as it may just be a one off.

If it re appears then obviously i will soldier the connector permanantly together to make a permanent connection.

I dont see how this could caus airbag deployment (clearing the code), can you elaborate?

Please take a general suggestion/advice. When dealing with airbag related faults never just clear codes, always make sure to actually check the fault/component. Besides that problems will reappear sooner or later there is some risk an airbag might deploy incidentally.

Theresias
17-02-2008, 01:25 AM
The problem might be the connector, that's to be determined because it can also be a damaged wiring harness. If this problem comes up when moving the seat this is very likely the case. The airbag unit itself comes with a short wiring harness on it, that can be faulty too and would require the complete airbag to be replaced.

When a fault code is being set often certain protection mechanisms will be triggered too, this includes control modules ignoring input signals and/or using replacement values. In case of the airbag system the control module is checking the components in a certain cycle and like they teach it in VW/Audi tech training under certain circumstances just clearing a code and having the control module check the component can indeed trigger/blow an airbag.

Even though you have VAG-COM you should not work on systems which you are not familiar with, especially not doing any soldering on the airbag system. There is a reason why one avoids soldering in certain systems like avionics for example, soldering joints tend to brake under stress. Besides that you got warranty on the car and making own "improvements" like that will very likely void that warranty.

VtecJunkie
17-02-2008, 02:32 AM
My car is 8 years old so it is no longer under warranty, that is why i choose to do the work myself.

I may just clean the connector with electrical cleaner or alcohol, i have heard they can deteriorate over time.

You say under certain circumstances only an airbag will deploy whilst restetting the code, what circumstances would these be?

I presume an intermittant fault like mine, it is relatively safe to clear fault codes... where as a more serious fault may be more likely to deploy the airbag when resetting the codes?

I was also reading someone else's thread on here who had the same fault, he took his car to VW/Audi and they did nothing, only cleared the fault code without doing any work.. to see if it was a one off. Therefore i thought it would be fine to clear mine, and it has been so far...