PDA

View Full Version : mk4 gti turbo dump valve?

cbrrocket6
13-11-2006, 09:12 PM
can someone please help! i`ve just bought a 2000 golf 4 1.8t (150bhp,i think) and i want to fit a dump valve on it but i`ve been told that this engine has a recirculating valve on it and if i put a dump valve on instead it will cut out at junctions etc because the pressure is getting released into the atmosphere instead of going back into the engine!! is this right??
also,i want to get it superchipped and have been quoted £ 511.00. is this about right? thanks all.
(you may have noticed i`m a novice at this mod lark :) )

devonutopia
13-11-2006, 10:28 PM
novice? :D

Superchips would be as good as most places. I think Jabbasport has a sister company up your way somewhere. £511 is a fair bit though. £400 is more the usual kind of remap price.

That cutting out thing is total tosh & ******.... A performance dump valve such as those made by Bailey and Forge, etc will aid performance. Worth having a look around the AwesomeGTI website, and others (google :D)

cbrrocket6
13-11-2006, 10:33 PM
thanks for the info. i think i`m gonna need some more advice on this.
my heads bursting with all the do`s and dont`s.
maybe i should have bought a lada!!!!!! :)

adamss24
13-11-2006, 10:43 PM
Get a recirculating valve designed for audi/vw 1.8T. Forge Motorsport does a good one as well as Bailey Motorsport. Expect to pay about 120-140 quid. Check the pages of Max Power or Performance VW for prices and fitment. Expect a top notch job for that money including setting up on a rolling road/printout. I would advise getting a performance aftermarket air filter and a good cat-back exhaust for more impressive gains !

cbrrocket6
13-11-2006, 11:24 PM
thanks a million for the advice.
does the valve you`re talking about make the hissing noise :)
i want a new one to be noticed(i`m a sad git!!!)
thanks again

devonutopia
13-11-2006, 11:58 PM
And about £10k on a full engine rebuild using performance parts from the States, the biggest MOFO of a turbo around, some other gubbins, and close to 500bhp. :D

There's somewhere inbetween though. About £4k gets you a IHI turbo setup which is good for circa 350, dependent on other mods done. :) Just a trip to most remappers should see 200+

golfyjammer
14-11-2006, 01:09 AM
get a recirculating designed for vw/audi 1.8T

second that! otherwise the ECU will see it as a leak in the system and throw up fault codes.

more useful links here;
http://www.vag20v.net/forums/index.php?showforum=18

adamss24
14-11-2006, 12:28 PM
second that! otherwise the ECU will see it as a leak in the system and throw up fault codes.

more useful links here;
http://www.vag20v.net/forums/index.php?showforum=18
"FMCL007P- Fast road closed loop dump valve. This recirculating diverting valve dumps the charge-air back into the air intake system keeping external noise to a minimum and increasing throttle response. This valve is suitable replacement for many engines that use this stile of plastic Bosch valve , such as the VAG 1.8T/ 2.7, Saab and Porsche turbo engines. This valve offers greater durability with its all alloy construction." that i coppied from FORGE MOTORSPORT advertising page of PVW Dec 2006. I think you are making confusion between venting(atmosferic) dump valves that need an input from the throttle sensor to work in conjunction with a verry fussy ECU found on vag 1.8T engines. Also you could see www.dervdoctor.co.uk for their DIESEL dump valve that works on the same principlle(electronically controled by the throttle sensor).These throw fault codes because ECU detect the leaks ! The recirculating ones just put the vented air back into the turbocharger inlet and they just replace the OEM one! Me i am a diesel fan but i do know a thing or two about petrols as well !

cbrrocket6
14-11-2006, 08:12 PM
thanks to everyone for their help and advice.
i think i`ll stick with the superchip and leave it at that for now.
thanks again to everyone for their help!

jonnywright
23-11-2006, 02:39 PM
I am having the same problem with my Audi A3. I have been told by a friend that it may throw up errors but will still work fine and wont affect performance / cause any engine damage. Firstly is this right.

He also gave me fitting instructions (as there is going to be an open hole) and was wondering if anybody could verify this is the correct way to fit it? I have put them as pictures (not very good ones). Thanks in advance