PDA

View Full Version : Polo engine stuttering

chrisdevine
13-11-2006, 08:48 PM
hi folks,

i am new to this site and was hoping for some assistance.

i have a 99 s plate 1.4 cl polo - nice enough wee car and ran great when i got it!!

however i, like many other of the users seem to have a problem with my engine stuttering when accelerating. from other threads i have seen that the throttle body and mass air flow device (or meter) seem to be given as the cause of the problem!!

however, i had my throttle body replaced (almost 12 months ago) and the problem started again. i lived with it but it is buggin me again so i tried to contact the garage where i had it replaced - it is "no longer trading" and the throttle body is still in its 12 month warranty (dammit!!)

i was planning on taking it in and them running the diagnostic and them telling me it was the throttle body again........doh!!

now i am up the creek......

is it likely that the throttle body has just duffed up again? when i got the new one fitted the guy told me to run shell optimax and redex through it every now and again and i have done so. optimax seems to make a difference and redex has been intermittently effective...... :o/

am i looking at a new mass air flow meter or could it be somethin different??

any ideas?

muchos gracias in advance!!

chris

sirandyb
21-11-2006, 01:45 AM
did you try unpluging the mass air flow meter, if when disconnected it runs far better you'll know that a new mass air flow meter will cure it. a friend of mine has a 1.6 efi fiesta and it was running bad disconnected the mass air flow meter and went far better, he got one from a scrappy for a tenner and its still 100% after approx 6months.

Boardboy
21-11-2006, 01:57 AM
If it's the MAF, buy a Pierburg or Bosch. Don't be tempted with an e-bay special. A genuine one will last longer.
Welcome by the way and I hope you get it sorted.
Boardboy

chrisdevine
21-11-2006, 07:17 PM
thanks guys - but where is my mass air flow meter/device. i can't see a reference to it in my haynes manual!! :(

sirandyb
22-11-2006, 02:27 PM
it will be on the air intake pipe. it should be the only thing on the air intake pipe that has a plug on it. just disconnect the plug.

chrisdevine
27-11-2006, 02:21 PM
does the MAF have any other name it could come under??

the only think i can find at the duct is an air temp sensor i think not an air flow meter?

and where will it actually be? ie. in the duct/connected to the duct??

Marc97
30-11-2006, 12:47 AM
MAF might be named simply as the air flow meter in the haynes manual.