PDA

View Full Version : Gearing/fuel consumption 1.9tdi 105 plus

alibaly
15-02-2008, 03:07 PM
I have had my feb o6 Golf Plus 1.9TDi (105)S for just over a year and have averaged 40mpg overall. I find that the car is not happy to go into 5th gear under 50mph and even at 60mph if I accelerate hard there is a judder as if I am in too high a gear. The car is perfectly fine in 4th and from even as low as 30mph it will pull away smoothly. It does the usual diesel trick of trickling along at tickover in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and will pull away again if gentle, but is rough if I try to trickle along with the traffic at 40-45-50.
Consequently I find that for all or most of my local journeys I cannot get up to 5th gear. This I think is where my relatively poor average fuel consumption is coming from as on a run I have recorded up to 54mpg on a mixture of single and duel carriageway roads cruising at 60-70mph.

My previous Peugeot 306tdi was happy to go as low as 35 in 5th if I wanted and smoothly pull away again to keep up with slow moving traffic. This gave an average of 46mpg over 6 years which included pulling both a caravan and a trailer at times.

I must add that I do not tow anymore so all solo mileage

Is this normal for my car and if so where do the advertised overall 50mpg figures come from?:confused:

BobP
21-02-2008, 10:05 PM
I think things have moved on as the Golf Plus I test drove recently didn't show those problems. I would have thought with the diesel torque it would have been happy to trickle along in 5th.

As far as MPG goes, they're all done under very rigid test conditions so rarely can be met in normal driving.

skodaescapee
26-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi

Thats not right. Should pull fine without any judder. My tdi Bora 130 bhp pulls away in 6th at 50. No judder just slow acceleration. 55-60 mpg all the time. Best car I have ever owned for fuel economy. Just ordered a Jetta, hopes it's as good. Doubt it......

Back to dealer with a complaint I think...