PDA

View Full Version : Vag Com problems with B6 Audi A4 (usb KKL lead)

Amit
15-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Can anyone help me out with using vag com on my car please.

I have a USB KKL lead (ebay special) which is identified as being on com port 3 on my laptop.

I fireup vagcom and do the test which reports lead OK, non opto, 3rd party lead.

As soon as I plug the lead into the car, the led shines green.

I then turn the igntion to stage one, run vagcom and select auto scan on the 8E Audi (my car is a 2004 Audi A4 TDi Sport B6)

Auto scan starts but fails to talk to any of the modules. It trys 3 times with each.

If I try and manually select the engine module, it does the same. Tries 3 times then reports the failure.

What am I doing wrong?

This is the second lead i have tried and get the same problem.

The com port settings etc.. I have left as default.

I would really appreciate any help as my engine light comes on intermittently and my aircon is stuck in econ mode.

Cheers
Amit

dansansome
15-02-2008, 02:29 PM
is your copy of vagcom registered or a shareware version?

i think auto scan is disabled in the shareware version, however, i would have thought that it would be "greyed out" rather than allowing you to select it and then fail...

here is the vag com list of functions in the shareware vs registered versions

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vag-functions.html

Amit
15-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Its shareware.. but autoscan is included in the shareware.

Its version 4.09

The individual module select doesnt work either.. I can get any communication with the car.

Amit

Theresias
15-02-2008, 03:10 PM
The individual module select doesnt work either..

The best you could do is contact the person from whom your bought your interface hardware, those people should know where the most common problems with 3rd party interfaces are.

We have seen problems like this in the past and discusses it several times so maybe this thread could help you a little...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/diagnostics-vag-com/com-port/100296/#post1165018

Amit
15-02-2008, 04:13 PM
Right I have just got it to work.

I disconnected the battery for 30 mins and also change the lead over to a different com port and now its working..

I have also just ordered a registered version of Vag com so should be able to do a full scan soon.

When you have a list of fault codes, how do you identify the part numbers of the bits that need replacing?

I have a couple of sensors that are reporting back as faulty.. but all I have are G codes.. G62 etc.. is there a way of getting the part numbers from these?

Thanks
Amit

Theresias
15-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Just because there is a fault code mentioning a part that doesn't mean the part needs replacing, what you have to do based on the fault code is check the part and/or it's associated parts detailed in the fault or indirectly described in the factory repair manual.

Usually you either use the parts original part number to get a new one or use the parts catalog.

Amit
15-02-2008, 04:41 PM
yes i underrstand that, but is there a way of identifiying the part from the g number?

eg one fault was

00819 - High Pressure Sensor (G65)

07-00 - Signal too Low

and

01826 - Sensor for Steering Angle (G85): Supply Voltage Terminal 30

35-00 - -

is there a look up table that gives more details or tells you what the part is?

Amit

Uwe@Ross-Tech
15-02-2008, 04:53 PM
The repair manual for your specific car will also use these component identifiers and will usually have drawings that shows the locations of these components.

As far as the fault codes, search our Wiki (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Main_Page). In many cases, you will find some general tips which can be userful, for example:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/00819
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/01826

-Uwe-

Amit
15-02-2008, 05:17 PM
excellent thanks..

With regards to the coolant pressure level, what should the reading be when you measure the level?

and the steering angle sensor.. what has that got to do with breaks?.. Could this be causing the brake warning to be showing when I start the car? brake flashes up 3 times and beeps.

When my vag com reg arrives, will I be able to clear fault codes?

Amit

Theresias
15-02-2008, 05:27 PM
With regards to the coolant pressure level, what should the reading be when you measure the level?

This is NOT the coolant pressure level, it's the refrigerant pressure for the climate control!

and the steering angle sensor.. what has that got to do with breaks?

Ehm... you should definitely start reading how the ABS/ESP system works...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Stability_Control

Could this be causing the brake warning to be showing when I start the car? brake flashes up 3 times and beeps.

Yes.

When my vag com reg arrives, will I be able to clear fault codes?

Yes, but not unless you fix the actual problems.

No offense, but I suggest you either read a lot about those vehicle systems first or let somebody deal with it who is familiar.

Amit
16-02-2008, 11:57 PM
thanks for the link to the esp.. it makes sense now.

re the coolant.. yes refrigirant is what i meant. This was re filled in my car about 6 months ago.

your wiki suggests checking the mvb. what should this value be for the aircon to work?

is there a way to determine whether its the thrust sensor that is faulty or coolant level is that is low with Vag Com?

I got my reg file today so I am keen to have a play.

Thanks
Amit

Theresias
17-02-2008, 12:17 AM
your wiki suggests checking the mvb. what should this value be for the aircon to work?

A current version of VAG-COM would give you a description for each of the values as well as ranges and specifications, the old version you are using probably doesn't do that. You may want to post the values from MVB 001.3, 001.4 as well as 002.1-4 and let us tell you if they are within the specs.

is there a way to determine whether its the thrust sensor that is faulty or coolant level is that is low with Vag Com?

By checking the measuring blocks, but based on the fault code it is unlikely the sensor is faulty.