PDA

View Full Version : A3 2.0 FSI; Coolant Loss and Driveshaft Issues

ChrisIDS
15-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Good morning, Forum.

This is my first post here, so I will introduce myself first. I am an English guy living in Switzerland and have (happily) owned a 2004 Audi A3 2.0 FSI for the last two years, now with 80,000 km (or 50,000 miles) on the clock. Having lurked around the forum for a bit, I have a couple of questions, before I head to the Audi dealer.

Every winter, I notice that the coolant level drops slightly, requiring a top-up, usually once a week or so. The amount that is required takes the level from Min to Max. During the summer, it's fine, but once winter (it's not that cold here!)comes, it starts.:confused:

I have had a quick inspection underneath, but I cannot find any (immediately) obvious signs of leakage. However, there are usually signs of excessive (i.e. quite a few drips overnight) leakage under the car. It's quite an oily, though relatively clear, deposit and sometimes trails back, as my parking place is on a very slight incline.

Secondly, there is a rumbling, clicking sound emanating from, what I guess, is the drivetrain. I noticed it first in Germany. At around 160 - 180 km/h, a low-frequency rumble and dull clatter can be heard, coming from the left-hand side, which becomes immediately more intense when I apply power, and drops again when I take my foot off. On reducing speed to around 140km/h, it is inaudible. It does also appear when I take a right turn, especially if the road has a large camber angle. There's a motorway section near Zurich, which has a sweeping, inclined bend to the right, with camber and here it was -very- noticable. At this point, my girlfriend kindly requested me to 'do something about it !!'

Hmm. Maybe these two items could be easy and cheap (leaking hose joint, CV joint boot or something) or expensive! I would have thought a driveshaft would last longer than 50K.. I have inspected the driveshafts, joints, etc, and all appear to be visually OK.

So, if anyone has any advice, or experience, then I would be grateful if you could share it with me. Then, at least, I'm in a better position to know how much of my money Mr. Audi will want from me :-)

Anyway, thanks for reading my post and have a nice day !
Cheers,
Chris

Brandenburger
17-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Hello to beautiful Switzerland,
i have just joined these forums ,i have had some fine holidays with my girlfriend, now my wife in Lucerne in the past,hope you get the problems solved soon.

Brandenburger