PDA

View Full Version : Water in Passenger Footwell.Audi A4

ben.yule
12-11-2006, 10:14 PM
I have an Audi A4 Avant 2000 TDI.I have just noticed that I am getting water in the passenger side footwell when it rains.Not a massive amount but enough to make the carpet wet.I have had the front windscreen replaced as It was cracked anyway so I am 100% sure it is not coming through from there.The windscreen fitter said that the Pollen filter was wet.he dryed it out and re-aligned the tray above it to catch the water.Next time it rained though I was left with the same problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it curable by myself or do I have to go to Audi garage. Anybodys help would be greatly appreciated.Many thanks.Ben

PTEK
13-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Hi

Your problem sounds similar to other posts on this problem. Try looking for blocked drain holes to the bulkhead between the engine and the air filter / pollen filter. On my Passat I found these had become clogged with leaf and other debris, giving a very slow drain-out. It is possible that your problem could be a more drastic blockage that is not allowing rainwater out at all.

Not sure of the arrangement of the Audi, but in my case there were two drain holes. One on right side below the wiper motor and some piping (air-onn?), and the other below the battery, which I had to remove to gain access.

Good luck. Paul

jak
14-11-2006, 09:01 PM
i agree with Paul,it's probably the drain holes. Get it checked quick as the water gets into the comfort control module in the footwell and causes problems. John

OutnAbout
16-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Hi there.

My limited experince. On the 1998 A4 there is a drain plug under the battery which can block.
Removing the battery allows access or, loosen radiator filler bottle holding screws, move bottle aside and reach under battery well keeping hand flat against surface till you feel the steering rack. Slide hand in above s-rack until you feel the rubber drain and push against it to loosen debris. Dont push too hard or can clip out the drain hole. Suggest this as TEMP solution. Expect to get dirty.

ben.yule
16-11-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks for your help.Will have a look tomorrow.Hopefully have some good news.

ben.yule
17-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Set to work on the car today.You were all right.Took the passenger side scuttle off to find the pollen filter wringing wet.The catchment tray was still in the correct position.Poured water down the windscreen and all ok.I then noticed the puddle underneath the battery.Took the battery out to find as described 2 blocked drain holes.Poked my finger through them & away the water went.Where the water was filled up when you turned the corner it was rushing to one side,up & into the pollen filter.Then down into the passenger side footwell. I would like to thank everyone that helped with the advice.Saved me a costly trip to the garage.

NickHuge
29-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Hi,

Glad you sorted the problem, I had the exact same problem on my Audi A6 2 months ago, it went into the footwell, and got into a nonwatertight wondow ECU and corroded the diodes so my windowns now dont work. doesn anyone no anywhere in south UK which repair audi ECUs?

Also even though it was only 2 months ago, the gromits have already become blocked and the problem returned. You should remove the gromits and cut approximately 50% off the bottom, and this should solve future problems. Also check them every 3-6 months or more regularly in the autumn.

Regarding the battery I removed, there is a plastic tube coming off it. Should this be attached to anything? Cheers

ben.yule
29-11-2006, 10:00 PM
I think that is just a breather pipe for the battery.I havnt got mine going anywhere.Just loose in the engine bay.I will check my grommeys again soon.I need to order a new pollen filter so will check when I fit that.Dont know of anyone to fix ECU's