PDA

View Full Version : thermostat location

dean
12-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Please could some one let me know where the thermostat is located on the tdi sharan, its not located where the top hose goes into the block like most engines:dunno:

Cheers
Dean

stantruck2156
13-11-2007, 01:11 AM
I am also trying to find the thermostat in an audi quattro 100 2.8 V6 engine, just wondered if you had any ideas. Thanks Stan

andy e
13-11-2007, 11:30 PM
thermostat is under engine see thread thermostat locatian pls help

kenney
14-11-2007, 08:55 AM
The thermostat on the v6 engine is behind the timing belt on right side of engine.Need engine code for Sharan

janooson
01-01-2008, 10:36 PM
[quote=kenney;93202]The thermostat on the v6 engine is behind the timing belt on right side of engine.Need engine code for Sharan[

HI THERE, CAN U PLZ HELP TO FIND THE THERMOSTAT ON SHARAN 1.9 TDI 110 BHP AFN ENGINE , QUICK RESPONSE PLZ, MANY THANKS. SHAHZ.

TAKE CARE. ;)

andy e
01-01-2008, 11:09 PM
thermostat is under engine see thread thermostat locatian pls help thermostat is under engine behind power steering pump

janooson
01-01-2008, 11:19 PM
[quote=janooson;109747][quote=kenney;93202]The thermostat on the v6 engine is behind the timing belt on right side of engine.Need engine code for Sharan[

janooson
02-01-2008, 12:17 AM
thermostat is under engine behind power steering pump
MANY MANY THANKS ANDY , TAKE CARE. SHAZ.

montymole
02-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Not sure if people give detailed descriptions of their "adventures" in the art of car maintenance here is my first main one on this beast ...

I've just had the fun of changing my thermostat on a '99 1.9 TDI Sharan with an AFN engine.

The steps I did are as summarised as follows :

- remove under engine cover (I had to put on axle stands to get enough clearance to pull it out.
- underneath on left hand (from looking from front to back of vehicle.) locate the steering pump driven on mine by the smaller outer drive belt.
- Loosen the belt tightener, the retaining bolt behind this and swing bolt on the steering pump, push pump in and take off belt. The long upper bolt was a bit of a pig. I didn't do as the manual says and remove the poly belt (larger drive belt) being lazy .. I was very careful not to damage and just pull out of way whilst working on long swing bolt.
- Undo all bolts of pump and hang out of the way (I use a trusty old cut up coat hanger) to save disconnecting an pipes.
- remove the steering pump bracket, to reveal under thee plastic right angle pipe with two bolts, inside this is the thermostat.
- I drained the coolant from this pipe, the manual says to pull of the metal U clip and detach the main pipe, mine was too stuck and I didn't want to break the plastic pipe with brute force.
- replace the O ring with the thermostat, it was a bit fiddly to align them back together due to lip on main block but after a couple of goes it went back together.
- then put everything back, tighten the belt and refill the coolant. (I confess I drained into a clean large flat storage container and reused after filtering through a sieve to remove any large chunks)

These are from memory, so I may have missed something but I am sure someone will correct me .. 8-)

Hope this helps anyone interested, I like to read how others have got on just to help me before proceeding.

NOTE for HSE people: you are responsible for any work that you choose to undertake on any car, please remember this. This is by no means a definitive repair guide to follow and please do NOT take me to task for incomplete or plain crap instructions, corrections are acceptable though ...