PDA

View Full Version : Golf CL Mark II 1.3. Three problems.

Bullet 350
14-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi there,

I have three problems with my mark II at the moment. I'd appreciate any help. If these questions have been asked before I apologise but I need explanations in layman's terms - I'm not a mechanic, even the Haynes manual bewilders me.

The car is losing power sometimes, I can feel it starting through the accelerator. It'll then struggle on hills and cut out when I come to lights if I don't keep the revs up. This usually only happens on longer journeys and because it happens generally in the morning or at night I think it's related to cold air temperature.
The heater doesnt work anymore. It blows fine but apart from a couple of seconds when first turned on it is cold. Is this the over zealous bypass valve I've seen on other posts?
There's a rattle from the front of the car when it's idling, going slow and especially going over bumps. It's more of a clatter really. I've tugged and pushed everything under the hood but there doesn't seem to be anything loose.Thanks.

golf88
14-02-2008, 08:05 PM
i dont know if the CL is he same as the standard golf but i also have a mk2 1.3 and had the same problems all before my head gasket went, so its a possability it could be that, is it using alot of water? is there alot of white steam from the exhaust?

Bullet 350
14-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Hi,

I did notice some whitish smoke or steam from the exhaust the last time it happened yes. It isn't using up much water at all though.

The gasket was changed along with the thermostat last year when a mechanic misdiagnosed a simple problem when the car was overheating, (turned out I just needed to replace the coolant expansion tank cap).

Bullet 350
16-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Anyone else got any ideas? :1zhelp:

seanw
06-11-2009, 03:03 PM
hi there is one or two factors for ur problem. i also have the 1.3 cl with the running problem. what many people say is that it is infact the carb. r u running the pierburg 2e3 carb? if so it is recommended tht you upgrade to the weber 32/34 dmtl or dmtr although very hard to find for the 1.3. your other problem for the heater maybe that the thermostat may need replacing or there maybe an air block. so i would suggest checking that.
hope this helps

sati_007
24-11-2009, 02:24 AM
hi mate i own an 1.3 cl 1985 mk2 golf , had all the issue you have

heating issue - was the heater matix valve (replaced the lot in 1 go) - works fine after

Stalling issue - adjust the idle , clean the carb with sum carb cleaner , change the fuel filter , adjust the ignition timing advance it a tad (replace rotar arm and cap and leads if there old and worn), clean/replace air filter (removed and used old tights runs alot better!)

Rattle noise - this happen about 1month ago , (got told it was brake pads, wrong!) it was infact the driveshaft nut that had come lose and the shaft was ratlling around in the hub! (sort this out as if it rounds off the theeth off then it a new shaft time!)