PDA

View Full Version : Vibrating brakes

20VSE
14-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi guys. I've just found the forum and it looks like technical questions can be answered! Therefore, lets see if anyone can help with my problem.

I have a 2004 Toledo 1.8 20V SE and have had problems with vibrating brakes, particularly under moderate braking and when running at speed (ie braking to come off the motorway. The wheel shakes from side to side) It started in the summer and my local garage recommended changing the discs. This cured the problem for about 2 months then the vibrations came back. Another set of discs was fitted under warranty and now they have again warped. The 3rd new set in 6 months were fitted yesterday....

The calipers are not binding and the garage has had a good look at them and say they appear fine. There is no 'blue-ing' of the warped discs which would be a sign of them overheating either. The garage is at a loss to explain what the problem is so I wondered is anyone had experienced a similar problem?

Any suggestions would be welcomed. If it happens again I'll have to try having the calipers replaced (quoted approx £300 + fitting) as well as yet another set of discs and pads!

mluton
14-02-2008, 05:04 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Could be:

1. Warped discs
2. Wheels need re balancing
3. Tracking

I would do a 2 & 3 and see if thats cures it, before you look deeper into the matter.

Its not a hard job doing the work yourself, I did mine all pads and discs for about £170.

20VSE
14-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the response. I've had the wheels balanced and the tracking checked.

The problem is that the discs keep warping every few thousand miles and I, or the garage, can't work out why as the calipers appear to be working fine and not binding. Bit of a quandry...

neil brandrick
26-02-2008, 06:24 PM
I've got the same problem on a 2002 Toledo 1.9tdi. Everything was OK until 110,000 miles then brake judder. now on my 3rd replacement discs, all steering and suspension seems fine. Local garage at a loss. I suspect something on the suspension but nothing is obvious. ????? Suggestions welcome

darren_mcvicar
26-02-2008, 06:40 PM
sounds like your dics are worped buddy ;)

neil brandrick
26-02-2008, 09:38 PM
yes, but why no problem until 110,000 miles on the same set of discs then three replacement sets before 127,000m, each one fine when first fitted.

darren_mcvicar
26-02-2008, 09:43 PM
have you tried changin the fluid ?? or replacing the callipers

micheal balbrig
26-02-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi I had the same problem a few years ago with a 92 audi 80

I cured this problem by fitting another new set of discs but only after ensuring
perfect mating surfaces between discs and hubs
this was achieved by using sand paper and a small amount of filing where burrs existed on edge of hubs

Hope this may help.