PDA

View Full Version : What to do now?

A3Gem
13-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi.....new user here with a problem that is spoiling all my fun! Can someone please advise me?
The engine management light on my car (A3 1.8T Sport) came on in November and after the garage looked at the fault codes they recommended replacing the air flow meter and cleaning the throttle body. My mechanic was very hesitant about cleaning out the throttle body so although the a.f.m was replaced, the symptoms are still there and the light is still on. I've asked him again today to clean out the throttle body but he is telling me it is most likely to break while he is cleaning it and that a new one will set me back £500+. Has anyone had experience of cleaning out the throttle body or know approx how much a replacement should cost me?
So desperate to get the car back on the road in full working order! Any advice much appreciated.

prolfe
13-02-2008, 07:26 PM
The guy on this other forum cleaned his own:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=45256

I had a search on google for:

A3 1.8T throttle body

there are lots of links there to read through. and maybe some links to actual parts if you can't see them on vagcat.com

A3Gem
14-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Thanks for you help Prolfe....ashamed to say that I don't even know what a throttle body looks like let alone know how to clean it myself! :Blush2:
But I followed a few links like you suggested and finally found a replacement part - it is 'used' but comes with a 3 month warranty so, if the current t.b. breaks when the mechanic attempts to clean it at least I have this one as backup (and have £400 change in my pocket!!) Cheers.

prolfe
14-02-2008, 05:30 PM
That's what we're here for. We sometimes give out okay advice as well.

:beerchug: