PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to buy an A3, but would like some advice

missdee1184
13-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi there, I have been looking for an A3 for some time, particularly the 2.0 TDi Sport edition. Before I go ahead and buy one I just wanted to know what I'm letting myself in for, cost wise, reliability, what to expect really. My history on Audi's isn't great (or cars in general really) but from what I've heard they are the way forward and nice cars to drive and own.

I guess what I'm really looking for is are there any general faults or any common issues with this particular model that I should be aware of before buying. I'm going to view a car this Sunday and want to know what questions to ask the guy that's selling it that are relevent to A3's.

Any help is much appreciated

Steph:)

paul b
13-02-2008, 05:40 PM
If it's at the around the 50k or over mark, enquire about the cambelt replacement, has it been done etc. Full Audi service history is nice too. Should be looking at 45mpg +, I'm averaging 44 and I'm in a great big heavy A6, so your's should better that. The diesels are very reliable, more reliable than the petrol versions, so that's a good choice. In the 'Sport' models, remember it is a very firm ride, very different to the SE spec. Just make sure all of the interior controls work, like A/C, electric windows, CD player etc. Another quicky, if you get the 170bhp version, they go through a lot of oil, I've been told a litre every 7k. However, there is no such problems with the 140bhp version. A very sound choice.
Paul

prolfe
13-02-2008, 07:30 PM
What is your budget? What age of car do you want? What is the max mileage you want?

:)

missdee1184
13-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Thank you for your speedy reply Paul. I forgot to mention in my original post, I'm particularly looking for an A3 of about 3 to 4 years old. My max budget being around £11,000, I'd like to find an A3 that's done under 60k really for the age of the car I'm looking for.

The A3 I'm viewing on Sunday has done 48,500 miles and has full dealer service history, so I'll make sure I ask about the cambelt. I am taking 2 guys with me to help me check it over, they are no mechanics but both have taken a lot of consideration when buying their own cars and certainly have a lot more knowledge about cars then myself (not hard really).

prolfe
13-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Sorry forgot to ask: And where are you?

missdee1184
13-02-2008, 08:06 PM
I'm in Bournemouth but the car I'm viewing on Sunday is in Crawley

prolfe
13-02-2008, 08:35 PM
The car you're looking at seems a very good deal.

Have a look at parkers.co.uk for that A3 and it will tell you what to look for.

I had a look on Audi and on Autotrader and can't find owt for you upto 30 miles of Bournemouth.

you can get a 54 plate 5dr golf 2.0 TDI GT for £11k with 48k.
or

an 06 plate Seat Leon 2.0 TDI Sport with 19k for 12k

missdee1184
14-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeh, I've been looking on and off on Auto trader since about June last year and haven't found 1 that takes my fancy that I would deem 'close' to Bournemouth, that's why I'm willing to travel all the way to Crawley, plus it's got all the mod cons I'd like, contrasting interior, Bose sound system, mulitchanger, dual climate control etc etc (a bit material me, lol). So I think it's worth travelling that little further as it is what I'm looking for.

I did consider looking at Golf's but funnily enough my insurance is about £70-100 dearer than on an A3. And I also considered getting another Seat but they depreciate too much in value, plus my local Seat garage are so helpless and it kind of put me off going for another Seat.

Thanks for your input:)

missdee1184
19-02-2008, 11:54 AM
I did buy the A3 at the weekend. I managed to get him down to £10,800 from £11,495 so would like to think I got myself a bargain there. It turns out it's an ex demo that's why it had all the hidden extras like heated seats, Bose sound system, dual climate control, multidisc changer etc it even came with a built in hands free kit that the currents owner's company paid to have fitted. I'm really really happy with it and get to pick it up this coming Sun and can't wait. I'm having sleepless nights and everything, lol. This week is so going to drag for me.

Thank you to those who took the time out to read and respond to my post. I feel that getting an Audi is prob the best decision I've ever made, lol. Let's just hope it lives up to expectations, which I'm sure it will. Thanks again:D

paul b
20-02-2008, 12:02 AM
I did buy the A3 at the weekend. I managed to get him down to £10,800 from £11,495 so would like to think I got myself a bargain there. It turns out it's an ex demo that's why it had all the hidden extras like heated seats, Bose sound system, dual climate control, multidisc changer etc it even came with a built in hands free kit that the currents owner's company paid to have fitted. I'm really really happy with it and get to pick it up this coming Sun and can't wait. I'm having sleepless nights and everything, lol. This week is so going to drag for me.

Thank you to those who took the time out to read and respond to my post. I feel that getting an Audi is prob the best decision I've ever made, lol. Let's just hope it lives up to expectations, which I'm sure it will. Thanks again:D
I'm sure you'll love it. Must say, I'd love heated seats in mine! LOL.
Good luck with your new ride.
Paul

dandam
20-02-2008, 09:45 AM
Enjoy it and let us know how you get on :D