PDA

View Full Version : RCD 300 CD Problem

rdann
18-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Has anyone else had this problem or could offer some assistance?

I have a VW Golf Plus GT, reg 2006. We noticed the other day we could not get the CD to eject, it would just click and then show error, although the CD plays perfectly.

It is possible that either me or the wife has loaded a second cd by mistake, although we can not be sure.

VW are being less than helpful, and have said if there is a second CD in there it will not be covered by the guarantee. I have a problem with this, as a single CD player should not load a second CD, certainly in my other 2 cars this just can't happen.

I am not happy for the dealer to take it any further until I get some advice on where I stand, as a replacement unit from them would cost £600 +.

I have notice a big difference in the attitude between VW and my other car Manufactures and now have regret about buying this car.

Any advice would be welcome.

Ben
18-12-2007, 09:27 PM
worst case scinareo, the radio unit is a total loss. Do a search on ebay for RCD 300, RCD 500 and MFD2 and you'll find that your replacement will either play mp3's or take 6 discs, still cheaper than the dealer.

rdann
19-12-2007, 11:49 AM
worst case scinareo, the radio unit is a total loss. Do a search on ebay for RCD 300, RCD 500 and MFD2 and you'll find that your replacement will either play mp3's or take 6 discs, still cheaper than the dealer.

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Yes I am expecting it to be a total loss, and I have been looking on ebay, and it is possible to get one at a low price. Seems like a lot people upgrade to a better unit and sell off the original.

Are all RCD 300 & 500 the same, do they all have the blue background light and the dark gray plastic?

I don't want to buy blind and find it does not match the rest of the dashboard.

Could another option be to add the optional multi CD unit, would this over ride the built in CD unit?

I have been doing a bit of research this double loading does seem to be a problem with this unit. I have had many single loading CD players, including one of my other cars which is a Seat, and have never had this problem before. I feel the player is flawed for it to happen, and I am going to pursue VW before I put my hand in my pocket.

architect
19-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Hi
I've mentioned this before to others but I had the same problem on 2005 golf tdi - also with a radio that kept coming on by itself.

I had it all replaced by VW under warrantee no problem

flyone1
13-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Hi,
I take it thaht you've taken it out the car and taken the lid off and had a look inside to see what is happening

rdann
14-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi and thanks for your reply.

Yes I am expecting it to be a total loss, and I have been looking on ebay, and it is possible to get one at a low price. Seems like a lot people upgrade to a better unit and sell off the original.

Are all RCD 300 & 500 the same, do they all have the blue background light and the dark gray plastic?

I don't want to buy blind and find it does not match the rest of the dashboard.

Could another option be to add the optional multi CD unit, would this over ride the built in CD unit?

I have been doing a bit of research this double loading does seem to be a problem with this unit. I have had many single loading CD players, including one of my other cars which is a Seat, and have never had this problem before. I feel the player is flawed for it to happen, and I am going to pursue VW before I put my hand in my pocket.

I was wrong about the double loading (I think) as it was the last CD loaded that was playing, and not the one my wife said was already in there. So logic is the unit was faulty. I went to a different dealer and had my first service and a replacment RCD 300 (under guarantee) I must also say that Keith Garage at Aylesbury did a great job, and looked after us very well, they will now look after any future work on my Golf.

tiching99
02-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi Everyone,

My RCD300 is totally kaput, and I am looking at replacing it with a newer mp3 compatible RCD300.

I have however, come across two different makes of RCD300 - Grundig and Blaupunkt? Are these interchangeable? I mean, if my existing unit is a Blaupunkt, would I be able to fit a Grundig in its place? (For that matter, how do I find out what make mine is without taking the head unit out?)

I've found a good guide on the forums on how to remove the head unit, but as far as cables go, is it a straight forward like for like connection into the new unit?

Thanks dudes & dudettes