PDA

View Full Version : Pros & cons of LPG?

jb1999
12-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Anyone know much about LPG conversions?

Just been to Portugal and noticed a fair few cars of all ages (knackered old Renault 5 through to new dual-fuel Volvo) displaying a "GPL" badge (Portuguese for LPG). Did a bit of web-searching and it seems some European country's authorities are more generous on assisting with the conversion costs than in UK, but I didn't find much about hows it affects performance, running etc.

Does if work on any engine, turbo-charged or normally aspirated? Aside from the initial cost of converting and the much cheaper fuel are there any other additional costs, services etc needed? Does it work along side the existing petrol system to become a dual-fuel?

Questions, questions, questions...

:beerchug:

darkhorse1001
12-02-2008, 07:22 PM
yes it works along side existing fuel system, but only in that it still needs the petrol to get the engine to turn over (so you'll always need to keep a dribble of petrol in the tank), once its running flip the switch and its 100% LPG powered. The LPG system uses a whole seperate tank,lines,injection system...

will work on any engine N/A, turbo or supercharged but the last two are slightly more complex and therefore more expensive in terms of conversion costs.

not to sure about servicing, i do know that as the fuel is so much cleaner that your oil stays nice and clear golden in colour for months and months, rather than turning instantly black. i would assume all filters are replaced as per the usual schedule (apart from maybe the old fuel filter) but i have no clue what the LPG system itself needs to keep it running smoothly.

blicky_1
13-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Anyone know much about LPG conversions?

Just been to Portugal and noticed a fair few cars of all ages (knackered old Renault 5 through to new dual-fuel Volvo) displaying a "GPL" badge (Portuguese for LPG). Did a bit of web-searching and it seems some European country's authorities are more generous on assisting with the conversion costs than in UK, but I didn't find much about hows it affects performance, running etc.

Does if work on any engine, turbo-charged or normally aspirated? Aside from the initial cost of converting and the much cheaper fuel are there any other additional costs, services etc needed? Does it work along side the existing petrol system to become a dual-fuel?

Questions, questions, questions...

:beerchug:

First post so go easy on me!

Yep works well although there are lots of people out there who dis it!!! not sure why but I think early versions were something to do with it.

I have been running AG SGI Gas Injection (LPG) on my E200k Merc for 3years and 100k with no problems.

I am currently purchasing a 54 plate A4 1.8T 190 S Line to replace the Merc and should have it next week, the LPG conversion is booked in for a couple of weeks after that!

To give you a guide on economy for every full tank £26ish I get 300miles, servicing on the LPG system is once a year and costs around £125.

As for performance I notice NO difference switching between petrol & LPG.

Only pays off if you do decent mileage a year, I currently do around 30k ish.

Also only use and LPGA approved dealer and let you insurance company know, ohh and dont forget you will not be able to take it on the channel tunnel :)

I am told you cannot currently convert FSi engines but all others are ok.

Any questions please ask

blicky_1
13-02-2008, 12:44 AM
yes it works along side existing fuel system, but only in that it still needs the petrol to get the engine to turn over (so you'll always need to keep a dribble of petrol in the tank), once its running flip the switch and its 100% LPG powered.

Just to jump in there mate the car only needs petrol to start on when cold, once it get to operating temp it wil start on LPG.

Also there is no switch to 'flip' it is all automatic again when it gets to temp it switches over without you even noticing.

jb1999
14-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info guys, very interesting indeed. Always good to read some first hand experiences :beerchug:

I did some more searching around on the web and there's quite a few companies that do it. boostlpg.co.uk was a very useful site also - no doubt you've seen it already!

Do you have a rough idea of the price for a conversion? And do you think it would be worth converting an a 4-cylinder turbo engine that's seen almost 108k already?

blicky_1
14-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the info guys, very interesting indeed. Always good to read some first hand experiences :beerchug:

I did some more searching around on the web and there's quite a few companies that do it. boostlpg.co.uk was a very useful site also - no doubt you've seen it already!

Do you have a rough idea of the price for a conversion? And do you think it would be worth converting an a 4-cylinder turbo engine that's seen almost 108k already?

Depends on how long you are going to keep the car mate, I see no problems with the 108k my current Merc is at 131k and has been on LPG since 60k with no problems, just the rest of the car that is falling apart! :D

To convert my 1.8T is costing £1.5k + VAT, luckly I can put the bill through my company so will claim the VAT back.

I use www.dualfuelsystems.co.uk (http://www.dualfuelsystems.co.uk) in Woking for my conversions, they are a very friendly bunch and I have had no problems with them in the 3 years I have been using them, they also do air-con and have serviced that for me too at the same time.

Any other questions please ask :beerchug: