PDA

View Full Version : G60 air filter

johniem
12-02-2008, 12:53 PM
:confused:

Hi
I've just attached a general purpose Ripspeed air filter to my G60, and was advised to leave half the old air box still in place. That is obviously the bottom half with the top + old filter removed. The theory behind this was that the old box would shield the filter from taking in preheated air to some extent.
The bonnet touches the new air filter with this arrangement as can be seen by the indent in the insulation on the bonnet.

Is this correct ?
any sensible answers would be appreciated.

Cheers
Johniem.

daimatt
24-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Hi, I presume you are talking about a cone style filter rather than a panel. As a general recommendation I would advise you to keep the air box and panel filter due to heat soak but if you want to keep the cone the best way I know to keep it cool is to make a steel shroud that should sit between the filter and the engine, alternator and changer (with a gap for the pipe obviously). Make sure you have removed all the old filter box and you will see the top of the carbon canister through a large hole in the area under where the box used to be, this cannister has 2 pipes coming from it that lead to a little black valve that sits on the suspension turret behind the airbox area. This is removable (though check www.the-corrado.net for full instructions of how) and is easy to do with just some pipes to block and re-route. You can then take a nice piece of flexible tubing from either the brake cooling duct or a gap in the bumper to channel cold air to the filter.
If you are after power, I'd say keep the original air box and use a good cotton gauze panel filter.
If you are after the noise I'd do the same, but drill holes in the bottom section of the box and do the same cold air pipework as explained above.
Hope all this helps