PDA

View Full Version : MK2 GTi Transplant

Strutt
11-02-2008, 08:42 PM
I have finally decided to drop a gti engine and box into my 1300cc mk2 1988.As i will more than likely be getting the engine from a breakers what should i look out for as it wont be running and what else should i take, I know i need the wiring loom and while im on the subject what does the loom comprise of. I will also be taking the rear axle and discs as i currently have drums.Do i need to take the drive shafts or front discs or master cylinder???Any help would be much appreciated as i havn't taken anything this big on before.:1zhelp:.If there is anything i have forgotten to put on my list could you help me out.Cheers

Mart8v
11-02-2008, 09:34 PM
OK- Several questions:

1- Are you going for K-Jet or Digi engine? Makes a BIG difference re loom, ECU, fuel pumps etc.
2- Have you found a suitable donor car?
3- The rear set up for the GTi is a full beam set up as opposed to the standard Mk2 arms, have you sorted the springs and shocks as well?
4- Are you upgrading the clocks / interior etc as well?

To be honest, unless your 1300 is a show condition car I think you are giving yourself a huge amount of work for not much gain. Your insurance will be sky high as you are driving a GTI but without the build quality that VAG put in to the original car. More than for a GTi, I gather.

Why not sell the 1300 and buy a GTi?! Save yourself huge amounts of grief and spend the time and money making it as good as you can- having done that twice myself it is very rewarding.

Alternatively, find a 1600 or 1800 Carb engine out of a Golf Driver, sort out the carb and exhaust (possibly a fast road cam?) and you will have the pace you desire but without a massive ballache of a conversion to do. Plus your insurance will be cheaper!

Just some friendly advice, but unless you really know what you are doing I would avoid it!