PDA

View Full Version : 3.2 real-life MPG?

toff
11-02-2008, 03:31 AM
Hi,

I know there are official MPG figures available, but 3.2 drivers, I'd really appreciate it if you could post your average MPGs.

Just sold my S6 (20mpg at best!) so am weighing-up my options!

Thanks in advance - Alex.

rich164h
12-02-2008, 12:09 PM
I'm getting 28mpg. That's 2 miles in town traffic followed by 38 miles of M3 motorway everyday. Mostly rush hour so I'm averaging something like 65-70mph everywhere and rare that I can go any faster.

This is with the DSG gearbox.

toff
12-02-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm getting 28mpg. That's 2 miles in town traffic followed by 38 miles of M3 motorway everyday. Mostly rush hour so I'm averaging something like 65-70mph everywhere and rare that I can go any faster.

This is with the DSG gearbox.

That's pretty damn good! But it seriously puts a spanner in the works.. 2.0 TDI DSG or take a hit on the fuel and get the 3.2?

I used to have an R32, so I'm acutely aware of what I'm missing!

I guess the 3.2 has Quattro (or Haldex if we're splitting hairs) and you can pick a decent one up from about £10k.. whereas the 2.0 TDI Quattros seem to got for about £14k!

Any points of view appreciated - got a tough decision here :1zhelp:

rich164h
12-02-2008, 12:38 PM
I believe that all the 8P models have quattro. I'm not sure about the previous generation.

As for the price, well the cheapest I could find was ~£15k, but I was looking for a current model, s-line, less that 3 years old with less than 30k miles. I ended up paying £15.5k from an Audi dealership (I always buy privately normally) as I couldn't find a private sale any cheaper.

If course if you're looking for a previous generation one or one with much higher miles or a non-sline car then I guess you could find one cheaper. 10k is probably optimistic though. there looks like a bargain to be had at the Brighton Dealership (3dr ebony black sline, dvd sat nav, bose, leather, 38k miles)

Space Cadet
13-02-2008, 06:05 PM
All the A3/S3/TT “quattros” are of the Haldex type, only the A4 upwards have proper quattros.

I’ve just fitted the Haldex performance controller to my 3.2Q and it’s fantastic, makes it feel like a proper Quattro.

….anyway, don’t know what my mpg is but I know it drinks petrol!!

It’s a lovely car and would definitely recommend it, took an R32 out and although they’re both obviously very similar the A3 just felt better quality.

I made sure I got the 247bhp A3 (think it came out mid 2005) though as it has a few more bhp than the older model, have had it re-mapped with a Miltek cat-back and it should be around 270bhp.

chipboy
17-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Hi. when i act my age it's about 27-30 mpg, when i revert to boy racer it's nearer 20mpg. Will not be admitting which one i spend most my time doing!!!
don't want to sound stupid but what is a Haldex performance controller.:beerchug:

toff
17-02-2008, 01:59 PM
don't want to sound stupid but what is a Haldex performance controller.

Quattro uses a Torsen system that detects slip & distributes power to the appropriate wheels using a mechanical system of friction plates / pressure plates.

The Golf 4-Motion, A3 Quattros (and 4x4 Skoda's) use a system called Haldex which is relies a lot-more on electronics to detect wheel spin (incorporating sensor inputs from the ESP system, ABS system& steering-wheel angle sensor).

In standard form, the Haldex controller is quite passive; i.e. is allows a bit of wheel spin before it kicks-in (more-so in cornering as opposed to straight-lines). This is a compromise to keep the cars comfortable & economical for the mass-market; providing part-time 4x4 just when it's needed (the front wheels normally receive 80% of the power).

An uprated orange (race) or blue (fast road) Haldex controller is much more pro-active and serious driver-focused product. I believe they keep the power split more evenly between the front & back at all times. They are also much more pro-active in detecting wheel spin / distributing power.

That's my understanding of it, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Hope that helps!

Space Cadet
18-02-2008, 10:19 AM
That sums it up perfectly.

I haven’t driven a proper quattro so I can’t compare like for like with my Haldex & performance controller, but assume it must be pretty similar.

I think the orange/blue performance controllers were for the Generation-1 cars, the Generation-2 cars (mid 2005 I think) performance controllers are not colour coded.

Mine for example just looks standard but can be set between standard/sport/race.

Its on sport at the moment, next time I have some work done I might see what race feels like.

(Generation 2 also applied to the car’s ECU, mid-2005 cars also had the new ECU and the extra 10-15 bhp.)

chipboy
19-02-2008, 03:49 PM
thanks for the info....
But how much to buy and fit ? what sort of benifits are there.
Also... been thinking of getting the calipers painted, any sugestions on what to use or who to get to do it ?

Space Cadet
19-02-2008, 04:04 PM
It was about £600 and half an hour labour to fit. Sounds a lot but it has literally transformed the car!

Main benefit is better traction from the Haldex system apportioning the torque and drive to the rear quicker and stronger.

It seems to accelerate stronger at traffic-light-grand-prixs and feels much more planted on the road when gunning it and around bends/corners/roundabouts.

Funny you should mention painting the callipers because that’s the first thing I did with my 3.2, the car was only 2 years/12k miles old but the callipers looked like they were 10 years old. All the other 3.2s I looked at were the same.

I just cleaned them up with a wire brush and sandpaper and then used black Hammerite paint (not the metallic stuff); put a couple of coats on and it still looks great after over 6 months. Probably because of the heat from braking the paint has dried rock-hard with no sign of peeling or flaking.

Did the disc bells as well in silver because they were looking tatty, but will probably upgrade them now at some point.

The Haldex controller and Miltek cat-back are the 2 upgrades I’d recommend to anyone with a 3.2Q, like I said the controller has transformed the car and the exhaust has given it a bit of a v6 roar under acceleration (sounds oem at low speeds but a bit more throaty under full load).

chipboy
20-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Sounds like a good upgrade, will look into it.
Re. Discs. Just replaced my front discs with Rossini performance discs. they look really good, but are let down by the surface rust on the center hub.
Was going to get the centers painted silver or cleaned and lacquered. but Was worried about the heat from the discs making them peel/ crackle. :confused: I'll talk to my local paint shop and see what they say.

Space Cadet
20-02-2008, 05:13 PM
…..would definitely recommend it before any other upgrade, just a shame that it costs so much money.

Re discs, the ones to go for are those that are already painted/treated such as Black-Diamond or the EBC ‘USR’ discs, the pads wear away the coating on the discs surface and the rest is left black and doesn’t go rusty.

Almost had a set of Black-Diamonds put on my car while I was having the exhaust and Haldex controller put on but BD had listed the wrong size for my car. Will have them done next time I’m in.

Other than that I think the only thing to do is Hammerite the disc bells as I have done with my OEM discs, the silver has darkened a bit but other than that they haven’t flaked or rusted.