PDA

View Full Version : help/advice needed asap

gavnkel
10-02-2008, 11:44 PM
hi fellow audi (http://www.audiforums.com/m_796313/tm.htm#) members,im after some advice please asap,am thinking of buying an a8 4.2 quattro approx 1995 to 1999,any advice on how good these are,what gadgets they got in them,any known problems etc,have had bmw 535 sports in the past but a mate of mine had a 3.7 quattro a8 and he said how fantastic it was.ive had evo's,subarus and a couple of skylines in the past so i do like my fast cars,i know th eaudi probably wont be as quick or good on handling but im willing to let that go,as if i get a 4.2 quattro i would be getting it chipped and a stainless exhaust system put on,please help me decide do i go for a bmw or the audi,
thanks gav

Crasher
10-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Unbelievably great car, a future classic, especially the S8 but also the biggest money pit I can think of.

paul20v
13-02-2008, 01:39 AM
Unbelievably great car, a future classic, especially the S8 but also the biggest money pit I can think of.
thats a bit harsh although you will need deep pockets for fuel , they are fantastic cars thou :beerchug:

Crasher
13-02-2008, 02:32 PM
I meant it from the perspective of them going wrong, they can be heartbreaking.

paul20v
13-02-2008, 08:02 PM
as can many cars these days , even humble cars are getting out of hand and are ridiculously exspensive to repair and buy parts for ,bring back the older cars when we could get our hands round an engine bay :(

Crasher
14-02-2008, 06:43 PM
I know, I wonder where it is going to stop. The cost of rearing even family cars is getting stupid. Ten years ago a used family car with a failed engine could be put back on the road quite easily. I bought an 03 Octavia VRS with a seized engine and turbo, it cost me £5K to get it back on the road so no labour, VAT or profit-daft!

SneakyMcC
14-02-2008, 09:27 PM
hi fellow audi (http://www.audiforums.com/m_796313/tm.htm#) members,im after some advice please asap,am thinking of buying an a8 4.2 quattro approx 1995 to 1999,any advice on how good these are,what gadgets they got in them

Gav, make sure you get the 'Sport' variant. Better seats etc, and prolly better resale (or at least more interest when selling).

Paul Waterloo has a site called www.audipages.com , it's the 8 owners Bible and has a buyers guide.

Try and get a car with Bose Hi-Fi, I dont think that the solar roof panel was availabe 1955-1999. The is a cool rear blind set (sunblinds that pull up from the rear door caps and hook on to the top of the window frames & an electric rear window blind). The 4wd have a known leaky rear diff seal and the gearboxes can sometime be a bit iffy.

There is so muck electric stuff on these cars, there's plenty to play up. No more than any other German Marques tho.

Crasher
14-02-2008, 09:52 PM
and the gearboxes can sometime be a bit iffy.

Funnily enough it was the boxes I was mainly referring to. Every single S8 I do has had a new box at some point, they are big things as well, my box lift nearly can’t deal with one.