PDA

View Full Version : 98 A4 1.9Tdi - smoke,soot & intermittent turbo

Phil247
10-02-2008, 11:02 PM
Hoping someone can help?

My Audi A4 Avante with 150k miles on the clock has started smoking badly. A cloud of smoke is typical on start up which then disippates but then when accelerating hard and as it reaches the higher revs the smoke returns or even driving it at a constant speed in the higher revs e.g 4k rpm its there too. Releasing the throttle to cruise rather than push reduces the smoke.

If I rev the engine hard whilst stationary there is a cloud of what I would describe as grey/black smoke but also a large black stain immediately below the exhaust outlet which seems sooty and dry rather than damp?

Whilst driving the turbo occasionally stops working i.e the engine doesnt seem to want to accelerate. If however I turn the engine off whilst still rolling and then restart it the turbo is back again (all be it with an initial cloud of smoke).

It passed its MOT 3 months ago whilst suffering from this problem and the mot tester simply put it down to its age and mileage (without actually looking at even the symptoms). I then spoke to the owner who from my description odf the smoke alone seemed adamant that the turbo had failed? I trust him as he has owned and maintained performance cars in his past but there seem to be so many comments on-line of msitakes being made in the diagnosis of turbo trouble that I thought I'd try hear? Thanks for patience in reading this message. Help! Phil247 :1zhelp:

hagis
11-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi Phil,

Welcome to the forum. You'd be best posting this in one of the car maintenance threads or the A4 topic for your best chance of an answer.

Good luck.

barnsleyman
11-02-2008, 09:16 PM
sounds like the turbo to me mate! sorry,youll no when it dies cause itll make a loud bang and then all the oil will come out of your exhaust and tons of smoke aswell,if this happens please please please do not carry on driving your car,unless you wanna sieze your engine aswell

passat>sport
11-02-2008, 10:09 PM
but there seem to be so many comments on-line of msitakes being made in the diagnosis of turbo trouble that I thought I'd try hear?

Thats is so correct! Would you describe the smoke as black SOOT?

Phil247
11-02-2008, 10:12 PM
thanks for that. Not the news I was hoping for. As the turbo isnt making any noise and restarts after the car had been sitched off I had hoped it was another component related to the trubo system e.e the EGR valve (or whatever its called)? I promise if it goes bang the last thing I'll do is keep driving it. Thanks

passat>sport
11-02-2008, 10:18 PM
large black stain immediately below the exhaust outlet

Sounds like soot to me, not turbo seals!

paul b
11-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Yes, sounds to me like the turbo will go bang very shortly. It may be dieing a slow death.