PDA

View Full Version : b4 16v info and a couple of probs need help with!!

renton
10-02-2008, 07:47 PM
hi all,im steve and this is my first post so be gentle!!

im having a b4 2.0 16v gl off my old dear(and selling my 2002 b5.5) but i dont know anything about this model passat.

so can anyone give me info on the following please.

service intervals
cambelt and waterpump intervals.
best oil and plugs etc fo the engine.

any common probs to look out for??

best place for sparesetc.

its a light metallic green iirc.

what sort of fueling system its got.

i used to have a mk2 golf gti 16v with k jetronic. is it much the same as this??

i know its got a problem with one of the rear door locks.
my mom said she could open it but then couldnt get it to close ?? is this a comon fault and easily cureable??

so any info on this model would be genuinely appreciated!!!

cheers

steve

p.s any cheap mods to do to them?? http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

renton
11-02-2008, 06:37 PM
bump!!!:D

scotty33
20-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Hi
I had a 1993 (earlier shape) passat 16v, it had the 9A engine which was 136hp kE motronic injection which is mechanical like the golf, but has lambda sensor control, knock sensors etc.
Yours might have the same engine, or more likely the ABF engine, same as golf 3 16v, which has 150hp and electronic injection. I think these chip to approx 170hp?
I'm not sure on the official service intervals, but I would work on 60k/5years for cambelt and 10k/annually for oil/filter changes. I believe the water pump is driven off the alternator belt, so would not be too concerned with this? But the cambelt has an eccentric roller tensioner that does need changing with every other cambelt.
Oil, use best you can afford, full synthetic stays in grade longer than semi or mineral oil so that would be my recommendation.
I had door opening problems with my b3's (like most owners!) I also had symptoms as you describe with my B5. The springloaded pin that holds the doorcatch in the latched position had failed. This allowed the door to open without operating the handle. I managed to repair it, but a new lock mechanism would usually be needed. Maybe yours is a similar problem?