PDA

View Full Version : replacing monchrome (red) DIS with the colour version

dave9_3
10-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Does anyone know if this is a straight swap? The car is a 2006 A6 saloon with MMI high.
If it is a strraight swap any idea of where I can source the parts from and what sort of price?

dave9_3
12-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Does anyone know if this is a straight swap? The car is a 2006 A6 saloon with MMI high.
If it is a straight swap any idea of where I can source the parts from and what sort of price?

BUMP! anyone able to help? :1zhelp:

dansansome
12-02-2008, 02:59 PM
ive had a quick google and i found out that to get a colour DIS, you need to get your hands on an entire cluster which has the colour DIS in it.

then, after you have done that, you need to know the "SKC" code from the original car's ECU to program your own ECU with the new code, or the DIS wont work.

and to cap that off, unless the new cluster has less than 100km on the clock, it cannot be reprogrammed with your original mileage, so your car will under/overread on the total mileage.

you can get the clusters replaced at a dealer, and therefore everything will hunkey dorey, but expect to dig deep into your pockets.

HTH :)

EDIT: just realised that i think this info is all based around the a4, which does not have the MMI system (not until the b8 anyway). however, if older models have such security measures, you can bet that the MMI system workings will be on equal ballache scales....

dave9_3
12-02-2008, 08:27 PM
ive had a quick google and i found out that to get a colour DIS, you need to get your hands on an entire cluster which has the colour DIS in it.

then, after you have done that, you need to know the "SKC" code from the original car's ECU to program your own ECU with the new code, or the DIS wont work.

and to cap that off, unless the new cluster has less than 100km on the clock, it cannot be reprogrammed with your original mileage, so your car will under/overread on the total mileage.

you can get the clusters replaced at a dealer, and therefore everything will hunkey dorey, but expect to dig deep into your pockets.

HTH :)

EDIT: just realised that i think this info is all based around the a4, which does not have the MMI system (not until the b8 anyway). however, if older models have such security measures, you can bet that the MMI system workings will be on equal ballache scales....

Oh well looks like I'm staying with the Monochrome one then! I had hoped it would be a straightforward job. I recently retrospectively installed sat nav to the car and despite the insructions I had sayiong the car would need recoding, everything worked without a recoding. guess I cant be that lucky twice. Thanks very much for the response, your obviously a much better Googler than me. I tried and found nothing!