PDA

View Full Version : HID Lights

andywell
09-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi all,
I'm thinking of fitting HID bulbs to my 2005 A4 Avant.

Is this a fairly straightforward job that is within the realm of a fairly confident DIY mechanic?

Also if anyone has done this job recently can you recommend a supplier for HID bulbs.

Many thanks,

Andy

Chris73
16-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Hi Andy,
Just finished fitting HID'S to my dip and main beam on my b7. Very simple really , if you can change a bulb you can fit HIDS . All you have to do extra to changing a bulb is drill a hole in back of cover to allow the ballast wiring through and find some where to fix the ballast and all important bulb warning canceler box and you're home and dry . If you've got big hands it can be a bit tricky getting the bulb in and out of the dip beam lights as there's not a lot of room there but at least you don't have to remove the headlights or even the bumper like on some older A4's and so don't have to get the alignment reset.
Got my kit from Andy at 'Xenonshop uk' . I found it reassuring to have someone I could phone the order through to make sure I got the right kit for my car . All in all well worth the effort :approve:

andywell
19-02-2008, 09:04 PM
:beerchug:Thanks Chris

ady@RA
19-02-2008, 09:11 PM
The PIAA Xenon kit is the daddy IMHO.

Got the kit on my T5 and it makes everyone else's lights look yellow.

d3x
21-02-2008, 11:26 PM
This month's Audi Driver magazine (yes, I really am that sad) has an interesting Reader's Letter about HID lights explaining how simply switching the bulbs out isn't enough, you really need a whole new light assembly because the HID assembly's diffuser is different to the standard halogen bulb's one to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic.

Granted, he could have worked for Audi's parts department, but the point still stands. If there's a job to be done, might as well do it properly. Especially if you've adaptive headlights...

Darlo
22-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Hid lights was something i was considering as its the only thing i miss from my old car, but i was put off by this video my brother showed me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

Is the kit you fitted legal?

Cheers

Darlo

Baron_Samedi
22-02-2008, 01:34 PM
Frankly no, but who gives a damn, providing:

They are fitted behind a projector lens

They aren't some stupid temperature ie 8000k and up.

They are properly aligned.

Hide the ballasts from the MOT Station

Observing the above will result in a setup the MOT test people can't fail or Police question.

d3x
23-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Having just been blinded by some t****r in a Megane (who buys French in this day and age?!!) with some blatantly misaligned after-market HIDs, I've got to say they shouldn't be selling them without also fitting them within DoT regs. I've never been dazzled by Volvos or Beemers with the telltale blue-tinged lights, obviously fitted correctly, but those knackers out there bulb swapping should be shot. Interestingly, I know some people with similar A4s to my own who have HID front light clusters, and it's difficult to tell except for their lights being very white and bright. Maybe Audi just have better ones than Beemers? (a brand-whore? Me? As if.... :D)

Baron, if you're going to do it right, and it sounds like you are, then fair play to you, mate. They don't half look nicer...

Abyss
16-04-2008, 10:54 PM
Frankly no, but who gives a damn, providing:

They are fitted behind a projector lens

They aren't some stupid temperature ie 8000k and up.

They are properly aligned.

Hide the ballasts from the MOT Station

Observing the above will result in a setup the MOT test people can't fail or Police question.

Isn't there some law that any car fitted with HID's must have a self levelling system and auto washers? Surely the MOT would fail without those?