PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a TT and i now feel like crying! can anybody help me!!

Rob-S
09-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Hi chaps im new here and have just bought an audi tt 225, ive owned it for less than a day and its gone horribly faulty already. Before buying the car it test drove fine and after buying it i got more than half way home in it before it started kangarooing etc. The fault is this the abs/traction control light has come on, on the dash the triangle one with the curly arrow around it. It will not go out. The car now completely refuses to accelerate and is barely drivable, if u press the accelerator gently the car will go and pick up speed, if u press it even a little to hard power is cut completely until u let it off. The car will rev thru its complete range when parked still.

Ive had it to a mates garage to read the fault codes its saying the maf sensor is ****** even tho u can watch in realtime the values its giving seem to be correct. Its also saying the air intake temperature is 148 c disconnecting the sensor doesnt bring it down so he reckons its a wiring fault.

The other fault it throws up says the abs control/ecu is completely ******.

Ive just payed 8k for a car i cant drive less than 24hrs after paying for it can anyone offer some help/advise Please!!! im begging

Edit : it doesnt idle very well either stalls occasionally, it was a private sale and the guy is adamant there was nothing wrong with it before i bought it.

Crasher
09-02-2008, 07:59 PM
First of all, replace the MAF with a genuine Audi exchange unit and these are quite cheap. Do not use an aftermarket unit, they can cause terrible problems.

What is the ABS fault code, an acceleration sensor?

Rob-S
09-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Hi mate thanks for the reply, i cant remember the code for the abs fault, i do remember it said ecu failure (for the abs/esp system). As for the maf sensor he showed me it on screen the value goes up as you run thru the rev range (it revs fine unless u drive it) Also logs air intake temp as 148c disconnecting the wiring should make it read -20 or something but stays at 148 suggesting theres a short in the wiring.

It doesnt accelerate at all if you pedal it, its like u press the brake pedal instead.

Do you reckon the maf sensor is still to blame for the lumpy idle and no power?

If the abs ecu is shafted can i get one would that be difficult to replace?

Ive ordered a obd2 cable from ebay so i can hook the car up to my laptop, do you think i should just replace the maf and if it doesnt sort it book it in at audi ?

Or just book it in, I really cant afford to spend ££££ ive just spent everything i had on the car :(

Sorry if i rambled a bit im upset :( :1zhelp:

Isoproturon
09-02-2008, 08:49 PM
MAF sensors are about £60-80 from Audi. Easy to fit, you can do it in 5 minutes. Alternatively, try cleaning yours with electrical contact cleaner spray but be careful as they are delicate.

Maybe if the ECU thinks the engine temp is 148 degC it is that which is causing it to shut the engine down?

Isoproturon
09-02-2008, 08:49 PM
One final question, where in the country are you?

Rob-S
09-02-2008, 09:37 PM
Hi mate im near manchester

onzarob
09-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Edit : it doesnt idle very well either stalls occasionally, it was a private sale and the guy is adamant there was nothing wrong with it before i bought it.

That means nothing, if it went wrong on the way home then you have more rights than he thinks.

Crasher is the Brains when fixing this stuff, so post a code log sheet and we will try and help.

PS don't swear and the swear filter won't have to work so hard ;)

Rob-S
09-02-2008, 09:53 PM
Sorry for the swears!! (They wernt real swears !) at least the swear filter works which is more than i can say for the tt. Just been and tried to drive it again seems to cut as soon as the turbo starts to make a bit of noise, it doesnt even try to accelerate its like youve turned it off. It comes up with the ok message as you start it also.

Isoproturon
09-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Might be worth having a look on the Rosstech Wiki (VAGCOM diagnostic software) and see if you can find anything on there relating to the codes; it should suggest a few different causes for each. http://wiki.ross-tech.com/index.php/Main_Page

Rob-S
13-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Ive had the car in to audi it had blown the turbo hose off, theyve run full diagnostics on it and its fine, altho its blown the hose off again any ideas? Do i need an aftermarket hose/clip ? (can anyone recommend one?)

Cant believe it makes the abs light come on and not the engine management light!

Crasher
14-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Which hose is comming off?

Rob-S
14-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Hi mate, its the big red one at the back, ive just swapped it for a forge one and some new clips, its not blowing the hose off now but it makes a funny squealin noise in third gear upwards and you lose boost, its ok thru 1st and second, im beginning to really hate this car.

Ive been over all the hoses theres no splits or lose clips, ive double checked the new one i put on and it hasnt moved.

Oh and to top it off the lead i bought from ebay doesnt seem to work with the vag software no response from controller :(

Id be really grateful for any advice mate i have the feeling ive been shafted with this car :(

Thinkin off changin the dv valve

Crasher
14-02-2008, 09:47 PM
That’s not a diverter valve fault, it sounds to me as if it is either over boosting or has a restriction in the system, I pulled a cloth out of an intercooler once, put there by a well meaning mechanic whilst he was working (to stop debris ingress) but he forgot to remove it. Will the cable communicate with any other controller on the car? Has it been chipped/mapped to your knowledge, many have?

Rob-S
15-02-2008, 12:54 AM
Hi mate i'd agree with the over boost, whats likely to cause that? boost sensor or wastegate problem ?

I cant get my lappy to talk to anything in the car (had my pants pulled down with that as well i think)

Crasher
15-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Talk to eshrules about a better cable ( http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=3014 ). You need to measure the boost with a proper pressure tester.

Rob-S
15-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Well finally got my laptop working with the car, 17963 Turbo boost limit exceeded, (it sounds like something giving under pressure the squeaky noise it makes) anyone got ideas, im thinking n75 valve, or the actuator anyone know how to adjust it so theres less boost or if theres anyway i can find out for sure its one or the other ?

Cheers

Crasher
16-02-2008, 01:00 AM
You can't just "adjust" the boost pressure. Can you PM me the cars reg number?

audart
28-12-2009, 09:20 PM
hi i had an mr2 mk3 similar problem accelerating.Took out maf sensor and gave it a good spray with carberetor cleaner carefully up inside the tubes,cost me about 10 pence !

audart