PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Purchase a A4

Anzee
10-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Hiya im new to this forum im actually looking to buy a Audi A4 on a 51 plate TDI 130 BHP however i dont know what problems to look out for. Engine wise the car is perfectly sound, but electric wise what is the most common problem. Thanks

dieselmonkey
10-11-2006, 07:49 PM
Watch out for faulty instrument clusters, as I have recently fallen victim to one of these, and they are not cheap to repair. Take it for a short drive 10 miles or so and make sure the temp guage and the rest of the dials and guages work correctly.

Also, make sure you have evidence of that timing belt having been changed at 60k.

Otherwise a spot on car in my experience.

Anzee
10-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks for that mate I did check the Car me and my cousin drove it all the temprture Was slap bang in the middle as i knew about this problem from my Mk4 Golf. I dont know about the timing belt best ask about that other then that the Turbo was kicking in the ESP light didnt come on like i've read on other forums and thats after a good 10 minutes drive each.

Any other Electrical Problems i should Check before i Depart with the Cash.

dieselmonkey
11-11-2006, 08:51 AM
If you have a laptop, or could borrow one for the day... You could buy yourself a data cable off ebay, and download a trial copy of the infamous VAG-Com.

The simply take it with you when you go to view the car, and with owners permission, plug into the port under the dash and scan all engine and electrical modules for fault codes. I ran it on mine and it picked up the fact the passenger side front speaker had been disconnected.

A worthy investment... Save you a pile of cash in the future...

dppowell
01-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Ok, I've tried using the forum search and "Vag" or "VAG" or"vag" brings up no results even though its clearly in this thread.

I want to a) Buy a data cable on ebay but on;t know what I'm looking for exactly?

b) Where to I download a trial copy of VAG-Com?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
David

adamss24
01-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Ok, I've tried using the forum search and "Vag" or "VAG" or"vag" brings up no results even though its clearly in this thread.

I want to a) Buy a data cable on ebay but on;t know what I'm looking for exactly?

b) Where to I download a trial copy of VAG-Com?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
David
Depending on what computer/laptop you have. If it has a serial port then get a OBD2 interface with a serial port and if it has a USB port then get one that is fitted with a USB plug. The trial version can be downloaded from www.rosstech.com or if you are using sharing sites(limewire/bearshare/edonkey and such !) you could download cracked ones(version 312 and 409)-but i do not condone that. Basically the 312 is designed to work with older interfaces that are using serial ports and version 409 will work with both conectors: USB and serial. Read the FAQ on rosstech site and you should not go wrong ! Do your research first as a great deal of damage can result from missuse of their software. Hope this helps. Regards, Johann.

dppowell
01-12-2006, 03:50 PM
I can only find the $99 version on rosstech, have you got a link to the download page for the trial version?

I have no intention of making any changes to the car using VAG I just want to check why the Airbag light is staying on! and check for other error codes if any.

Cheers
David

adamss24
01-12-2006, 05:29 PM
I can only find the $99 version on rosstech, have you got a link to the download page for the trial version?

I have no intention of making any changes to the car using VAG I just want to check why the Airbag light is staying on! and check for other error codes if any.

Cheers
David
99 $ costs to activate the shareware version ! Cable you get from ebay. To download the shareware version go to downloads and choose wich version you want.