PDA

View Full Version : Brake Upgrade

Manny_Sandhu
08-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Hi guys,

I have an A4 110bhp (1998 R) Saloon. It has an RS4 kit, RS4 wheels and has H&R shocks and springs. It is lowered 40mm on the rear and 60mm on the front.

Having now sold my other car (Peugeot 306 GTi-6) i find myself driving the Audi in similar fashion more and more. Problem is i've come to realise that the brakes are totally rubbish. I had them replaced last year (just the pads mind) but i still find they're not good enough. I find the brakes too weak, i have to apply a lot of pressure and then find the wheels just lock up when i don't want them to. Brake fluid was also changed last year too.

Basically, the bottom line is, my car now handles so much better with the H&R kit and so i can take bends with much more confidence. Braking is still a major let down and so i now need an upgrade! I also find that the rear wheels get a lot dirtier than the fronts - which is a little worrying. This only started happening after the front pads were changed. Still the same after a few thousand miles so something isn't right.

What are my options? I'm not just thinking different brand discs and pads, but i'd like to get bigger discs/calipers/pads etc. As i said earlier, the wheels are 18" RS4s and therefore should have ample room to accommodate a bigger setup.

Cheers,

Manny.

Manny_Sandhu
09-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Anything guys?

adamss24
09-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi, providing you have the ATE front brake calipers, the best option is to fit calipers carriers from later audi a6/vw passat and 312mm brake discs. They will bolt on and will improve the feel and the braking. Only thing, you will need minimum 16" alloys to run these. Failling that and if money are no problem, a front set of Porsche radial mounted calipers and audi s4 brake discs at 330mm x 30mm will make a big difference but will be a bit more pricey. You will need to get specia spacers/carriers for the calipers, but many companies stock them off the shelf ! The Porsche calipers have 4 pots and will stop a tank ! These can be picked up for 2-3 hundreds pounds, carriers cost about £30-50, s4 discs £150 at Euro Car Parts, porsche pads £70-90, braided hoses £50 from ECP. Or you could buy the full Brembo GT kit at about £1000 !

Manny_Sandhu
09-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Hey Adam, thanks a lot for the reply. I am certainly interested in these options and will definitely take up one. Regarding my current calipers, im not sure what i have on the front and nor would i know how to identify them - i'm not very hot on this stuff at all.

Is it possible you can tell anything from this pic?
http://www.manny-sandhu.co.uk/pug_pics/audi_wheel.jpg

Otherwise i can take the wheel off and take a proper shot. Failing that, is it possible to identify parts from the engine code considering all parts are still stock?

The 312mm a6/passat setup you mention does sound a lot better than my current poxy setup. Would you mind getting me some part numbers please?

Also, i am very interested in the Porsche/S4 setup you mention. Definitely interested in this option and wouldn't mind paying a few hundred pounds more for decent braking - especially since a woman nearly wrote me and my car off yesterday - contravening the bloody white lines!!! Still, my current setup proved to me how poor it is with the ABS just cutting in way too early - and yes i know i need to change brand of tyres too.

But anyway, back on topic, i would be most grateful if you could give me part numbers for the setup i need. Prices and places where they're sold would also be very helpful.

The Brembo GT kit would be overkill for me.