PDA

View Full Version : very noisy starter 1991 1.8 auto

brighton123
07-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Just aquired a 91 auto golf with a very noisy starter sounds like a metal on metal sound still starts the car tho is this normal or can it be remedied by a new starter ? also wondering if there is a transmission fluid filter ? vw say no but GSF say yes but they can't get the part does anyone know ? thanks in advance

Crasher
07-02-2008, 06:24 PM
The starters on the Golf auto sound terrible but do fail due to being mounted under the exhaust manifold and if the heat shield is left off, they fail even faster. They are a complete pig to remove/refit. The box does have a filter of sorts, but is a washable strainer.

brighton123
07-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks crasher I did suspect as much, with regard to the transmission strainer is that under the sump cover? is there a drain nut on the torque converter for draining that too? GSF have sold me the green ATF dexron 2 Is that the correct fluid ? Do I need to replace the gasket or can I use the original one? How much fluid does it take I assume it is around 3.5 litres? When cleaning the strainer do I use water or petrol ? many thanks and sorry for the 20 Questions this is the first time I have worked on a VW My experiance is all ained from W123 mercs

Crasher
07-02-2008, 09:51 PM
with regard to the transmission strainer is that under the sump cover?

Yes

is there a drain nut on the torque converter for draining that too?

No, you have to remove the box and drain the converter separately by sucking the fluid out.

GSF have sold me the green ATF dexron 2 Is that the correct fluid ?

Sounds like Febi Dexron 2, which is correct.

Do I need to replace the gasket or can I use the original one?

The gasket is rubber and can be re-used but if you need a new one it is part number 010 321 371 B and costs £17.59 from VW.

How much fluid does it take I assume it is around 3.5 litres?

The dry capacity is 6 litres but you should only need at the most 4.

When cleaning the strainer do I use water or petrol ?

Degreaser followed by brake cleaner.

There is a gasket for the strainer, part number 010 325 443 and it cost £0.55 from VW.