PDA

View Full Version : Overheating Mk 3 Gold Umwelt Turbo Diesel

sharonplatt
09-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Help required because we have lost the will to fix it.

My partner has a 1991 Mk3 diesel umwelt turbo diesel. Last year the fan belt took out the cam belt and totalled the camshaft and any other bits it could wreck at the same time consequently had to have a new top end of engine replaced at a cost of £1100. All genuine VW parts were used to re-build the block and working parts inside. The car has since done 30,000 and in that time usually sits at about 90 degrees on the temperature gauge. Coming back from the goodwood revival and only one hour from home - temperature gauge started to rise rapidly so stopped, let cool down and started off again. This happened again so pulled into nearest garage and called RAC. RAC finally came and told us that the head had gone. Unusually no water had been lost and leaks were found. At the time, my partner checked the radiator hose and found one side to be red hot and the other side to be stone cold. Anyway, got the car back and home and finally took it to teh garage last week. Since this issue arose, my partner had started the car up at home and it sits at about 80 degrees on temperature gauge when idling but when he took it to the garage, the temperature went up again. The garage has had a look and the follwing checks have been carried out - water pump (bench tested and okaye), hydrocarbon check in the coolant (nothing found), Engine backflushed, radiator backflushed. There is no gunge in any of the tanks and from the hydracarbon test, this denotes the head has not gone. When the top hose was taken off the water system, the water just trickled out, this denoted the pump was not working but as I have already said the water pump was fine. The only other option is to take the head off and see if there is anything wrong but don't want to do that if not neccesary. There has been no loss of heating in the cabin and the temperature gauge does not go down, it only goes up. If the head has gone on this car why has there been no loss of water, heating, lea\kage etc??

Has anyone got any suggestions - we now think it is possibly a blockage in the reservoirs round the block but are still at a loss.

Please help as there is nothing wrong with the car but if it has to go to golf heaven, it has to go:aargh4: :aargh4: :aargh4:

onzarob
09-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Has the themostat been checked, it could be sticking. this would cause the radiator to be shut off and the engine to over heat. the heater matrix inside the car by passes the themostat so the cabin warms up along with the engine.

Rob :D

sharonplatt
09-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Apparently the garage took the thermostat out of the car and it still did the same thing - not sure if that means anything

Sharon

sharonplatt
09-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Apparently the garage took the thermostat out of the car and it still did the overheating thing - not sure if that means anything

Sharon:aargh4: :aargh4: :aargh4: :aargh4:

Boardboy
11-11-2006, 10:39 PM
You mentioned that when the top hose was taken off the water only trickled out and that you think there may be a blockage around the block.
I remember a guy I worked with had a Rover that he thought the head gasket had gone as it keeped overheating. It turnred out to be a piece of rubber from the inside of a hose that had restricted a water way.
Maybe try back flushing the block several times again.
Regards Boardboy