PDA

View Full Version : thinking of getting a golf tdi help??

pimpalicous
08-11-2006, 04:08 PM
hi im thinking about buying myself a golf tdi i currently own a subaru impreza wrx wagon import and had a corrado g60 before so i thought i would come back to the vw side i need something with better fuel economy and i have heard these are v ery good is this true? also im looking at spending about 4 grand maybe a little more was wondering what the best model/spec i can get and what to expect performance wise tuning potential and just general maintenance of the car an y feed back will be really really appreciated

adamss24
08-11-2006, 05:47 PM
hi im thinking about buying myself a golf tdi i currently own a subaru impreza wrx wagon import and had a corrado g60 before so i thought i would come back to the vw side i need something with better fuel economy and i have heard these are v ery good is this true? also im looking at spending about 4 grand maybe a little more was wondering what the best model/spec i can get and what to expect performance wise tuning potential and just general maintenance of the car an y feed back will be really really appreciated
Hi, 4 grand wont buy a fully loaded gt tdi PD 150 but if you shop around you may get a PD 130 and performance wise its not far off the PD 150. Add a quality chip/engine remap and it will give you about 180-200 Bhp/300 torque for as litlle as 500 quid. You will have a diesel that will keep up with your impreza from a stand still and still do 40 Mpg flat out. Look for higher milleage cars, but with full service history and regular service and with cambelts recently replaced. Feed it with quality diesel and synthetic oil and they should last many hundreds of thousands of miles ! Pay attention to noisy engines(camshaft is the Achile's heel), smokey turbos and slipping clutches . Look for leather interiour as it wears better but may cost a few quid. If you shop around(ebay, breakers yards) you could pick a s3/audi tt leather interiour for about 500 pounds and will fit right up as they bassically the same car underneath ! Check if AC/climate control works ok as its big bucks to fix, electric windows, and all electrics works as should, gearbox shifts smoothly, odd knocks from suspension/steering, uneven wear patern etc. Take your time and you shouldnt go wrong. Check mileage against the old MOT(on low mileage cars !) as they are easy to clock + look for abnormal wear and tear on steering wheel, driver bolster seat, pedals, gear knob, etc. If in doubt, walk away !

pimpalicous
08-11-2006, 07:11 PM
cheers mate thats some great advice there i really appreciate thankyou will let u know how i get on if anyone else has any other tips they would be appreciated cheers chris