PDA

View Full Version : A4 2.0 tdi 140 bhp questions/advice

Darlo
05-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Hi, i have been lurking around this website for a good while now. I sold my bmw Z3m roadster in December and finally decided i had to grow up and get a more sensible car. So i ended up buying a 2005 A4 tdi s-line saloon (140bhp) in black.

I am very pleased with the car, however i just wanted to clarify a couple of points. What mpg should i be getting from the car, i have only filled it up twice since i bought it and got 39mpg on first tank and 37mpg on the second. Thats about 490ish miles till i hit the red line on the gauge. I expected abit more mpg tbh. Its still far better than the 18mpg i was getting out of my bmw! I dont do much motorway, its stop/start but i dont drive the car very hard.

Given my pass in performance cars i miss that extra bit of power so i am considering a remap. Have any of you guys had the 2.0 tdi 140 engine remapped? any comments good or bad welcome, would be interested to hear any info on improved mpg how much difference overall to driving. I was going to try and make the chip n spin day on the 10th but cant due to work.

Cheers

Paul

MarkBS
06-02-2008, 09:40 AM
Hi Paul, I have a 55 plate 2.0tdi A4 and around town I get between 39-44mpg. On motorway driving it varies between 52-59mpg. However there are factors that affect economy (as you are no doubt aware), things like climate control, this can eat up almost 20% of your economy so I use mine when needed rather than all the time, excessive speed - driving at 80mph uses a lot more fuel than at 70mph.
Tyre pressures should be set correctly and last but not least - don't have too heavy a right foot!
Some people swear by using 'high-performance' fuel as it gives greater economy than the cheaper supermarket variants...most of teh time I use Shell Deisel extra
Hope this helps
Mark

ianmandlindaf
06-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Hi,
I have a 57 plate 140 S line that I bought in November, I had it remapped in December with 5k on the clock, it now has 12k I never turn off the climate control and I do tend to boot it a bit! I do most of my mileage on motorways and the fuel consumption on average is between 46 - 52 mpg.

I'm really glad that I went for the remap as now I have 200bhp as apposed to 140bhp plus better fuel consumption. :beerchug:

Darlo
06-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Thanks for advice guys. I dont think im doing to bad then considering i dont do much motorway work.

Hi,

I'm really glad that I went for the remap as now I have 200bhp as apposed to 140bhp plus better fuel consumption. :beerchug:

I think i have just been convinced about the remap! Did you get it done by chip n spin (chipped uk) or did you go elsewhere?

ianmandlindaf
07-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Yes It was remapped on a chip & spin day, early christmas present as I could'nt wait til Feb! :)

Cheers

Heathy
09-02-2008, 12:01 AM
How much was this re map? and do you have a linky to there web site?
Cheers heathy

turbo steve
09-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Hi guys, i'm new to audi ownership and have recently bought a 2.0tdi (170- i hope!) quattro. By reading your posts i think i may have a problem as i'm only averaging 30mpg driving fairly steadily with the climate off, which means i'm only getting 360miles to a tank. I f i drive enthusiastically i only get 26mpg which shouldn't happen in a diesel no matter how hard you push it!

Darlo
09-02-2008, 08:33 PM
i have heard a few bad things about the 170 bhp engine and its mpg. A friend of a friend has a 2007 170 bhp a4 avant and he is only getting 36mpg on a run, even less on shorter runs which he is disappointed with, think he is going to speak with dealer he is so disappointed with the mpg. His isnt the quattro which i assume weighs abit more? 26 mpg is what my mate gets out of his e46 m3 driven steadily with a blast every now and then.

Now a friend has the seat altea fr which has the 170 bhp engine in it and he is getting 46 mpg which he is very pleased with. ( i assume this is the same engine?)

I know none of this helps but it may be worth getting the car checked over at the dealers. May be worth starting a new thread just for the 170 bhp owners to post there mpg and see what response you get?

Ricky_63
17-02-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi All

There is Custom Code UK which is also doing remaps on Audi. i know coz I had gotten a remap done with their software on my Octavia 1.9 TDi.

Cheers

Ricky_63
17-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi

I need to know the PCD of the wheels running on the A4 2.0L TDi as I was considering 17" Enkei Alloys for the same. Right now my car is running 16" Vortex Alloys (which are also pretty good)

It would be nice if I could know the PCD & Offset of my car ( I just bought the car a week back so don't really know too much about it yet ) :D

Brilliant car though !!

Cheers

kite
17-02-2008, 12:22 PM
PCD 5x112, not sure about the offset.

Ricky_63
17-02-2008, 12:28 PM
PCD 5x112, not sure about the offset.

Thanks Kite for the prompt reply.

Cheers

Audi_Convert
02-03-2008, 06:07 PM
I have recently puicked up my 55 plate Audi A4 Sline Avant 6 speed. 23K on the clock.

59 litres = 509 miles = 39.2 MPG

When calculated on : http://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

Filled just so I could see the diesel bubbles at the bottom of the fuel tank pipe.

I dont think 39.2 mpg is bad on a combined short runs and some motorway driving. I thought it would have been more as I rarely went over 2,000 revs before changing.

T

Heathy
02-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I'm driving a 2.0 tdi s-line avant [140] on a 05 plate and getting 480 miles from a full tank, and thats driving briskly most of the time!

VanWheeler
02-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Hi Darlo,

Shame you couldn't make the 10th, but there is another day on the 12th.

Here's a bit of feedback from one of the last days, it's a very good and funny read.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=18881

Thanks, Mark

Heathy
02-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi Mark, Do these chip&spin days move around the country? And how much would it cost for a a4 2.0 tdi s line avant 2005 ?
Regards heathy

VanWheeler
03-03-2008, 09:22 AM
Hi Heathy.

These are always held at Chipped UK in Bromsgrove. If you come along to the day it's £250 for befreo run, custome remap and after run.

Thans, Mark

RSTuning
03-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Hi, i have been lurking around this website for a good while now. I sold my bmw Z3m roadster in December and finally decided i had to grow up and get a more sensible car. So i ended up buying a 2005 A4 tdi s-line saloon (140bhp) in black.

I am very pleased with the car, however i just wanted to clarify a couple of points. What mpg should i be getting from the car, i have only filled it up twice since i bought it and got 39mpg on first tank and 37mpg on the second. Thats about 490ish miles till i hit the red line on the gauge. I expected abit more mpg tbh. Its still far better than the 18mpg i was getting out of my bmw! I dont do much motorway, its stop/start but i dont drive the car very hard.

Given my pass in performance cars i miss that extra bit of power so i am considering a remap. Have any of you guys had the 2.0 tdi 140 engine remapped? any comments good or bad welcome, would be interested to hear any info on improved mpg how much difference overall to driving. I was going to try and make the chip n spin day on the 10th but cant due to work.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

The 2.0l tdi's respond very very well to mapping and make them a different car to drive afterwards!

The only downside from the 2.0l tdi is that IMO the turbocharger is not the strongest in the world!

Paul

danpike123
26-07-2008, 04:05 PM
hello there im getting a audi a3 2.0 tdi 140 bhp is it possible to get a remap up to 200bhp, if so where cheers dan

VanWheeler
26-07-2008, 09:27 PM
190 is about your limit on these unless you start upratting turbo's etc. Anything more than this would put too much stress on standard parts.

Cheers, Mark

Young Kenny
26-07-2008, 09:47 PM

Cheers

Paul
My car is an A4 Avant 2.7TDi that's been re-mapped by Angel Tuning www.angeltuning.co.uk and it's now got allegedly 220Hp. I haven't bothered to calculate the mpg by topping the tank, logging the miles trhen topping the tank back up. Being lazy, I've trusted the fuel computer to tell me my mpg. If I drive steadily, not using many revs, and then use cruise control on the motorway, at 70mph I get a regular 50mpg. If I drop down to 55mph as shown on the sat-nav, then I will achieve 62mpg. This is the average fuel consumption over a journey, not instant consumption. 62mpg was on a journey on the M62 this week from Hull to Sheffield. 50mpg is regularly achievable. I am astonished that your mpg is so low! I have only had my car for a couple of months, and driving enthusiastically (i.e. using loads of revs) I will still achieve above 30mpg. Don't mean to rub it in but something ain't quite right with a 2.0Tdi getting sub 30mpg. I'd get it checked out.

Cheers
Steve

danpike123
26-07-2008, 09:58 PM
do you do remaps and could you do this for me cheers dan

Young Kenny
26-07-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi Dan

sorry for the confusion - who are you asking about the re-map?

Cheers
Steve:confused:

danpike123
26-07-2008, 10:30 PM
sorry mate new to this was supposed to ask that chip and drive guy

Young Kenny
26-07-2008, 10:43 PM
sorry mate new to this was supposed to ask that chip and drive guy

No probs Dan - click on the link to Angel tuning here: www.angeltuning.co.uk (http://www.angeltuning.co.uk) or type audi tuning in to google (state the obvious ;)). I'm really pleased with the re-map done. But there are loads of other companies out there too. :beerchug:

danpike123
26-07-2008, 10:50 PM
cheers

McNeill
01-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Hello. First post and all that. Looking at a few A4 2.0 tdi S-line avant's next week, so will hopefully have one soon.

A re-map up to 200 horses sounds good to me - especially if it improves fuel economy.

Is there anywhere in Scotland (or even near the border) who could do this for me?