PDA

View Full Version : Rear brake discs

dumpee
05-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi All
Not sure if anyone has experienced this but anyway here goes. I have had an annoying break squeak on my 2003 A3 2.0 FSI especially when being driven any reasonable distance. There is no vibration at all when braking, as you would expect from a warped disc and the squeak is only heard during really slow speeds - like walking pace - during traffic jams etc. After taking each wheel off in turn and spinning the disc I found that the rear off side disc was to blame. There seems to be a 'high' spot on the actual disc which when turned catches or rubs against the brake pads and so makes this squeaking noise.

Like I said the disc is not warped in any way, not to the eye when spun or through vibration when braking. I'm thinking to have the disc turned with one of those lathes that can turn brake disc whilst they are still on the car as the disc itself looks fine and the car has only done 46,000 miles. Has anyone on here experienced this type of thing?

Vag-Alloys
05-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Check to see if the anti-rattle shims/springs are still there. If the pads have been replaced, these may not have been put back in by the fitter. Are they genuine Audi pads? Try removing the pads, and putting copper slip grease on the pads (not the contact side!) and the contact section of the pad housing.

Crasher
05-02-2008, 10:28 PM
The pads use on these calipers should have a self adhesive backing used on the outer pad (it used to be on the inner as well but this caused piston problems) and the purpose of this self adhesive backing is to pull the pad away from the disc very slightly as the caliper releases. Only genuine VAG and a few aftermarket pads have this self adhesive backing (such as Textar and Mintex apparently). As I said though, the self adhesive backing should not be used on the pad adjacent to the piston and in fact the backing should be cleaned off and a tin smear of copper slip or aluminium paste applied. These pictures are from a Golf 1 conversion to discs article I have just written for The Golf + magazine but I use Golf 4 calipers and pads for this conversion so the pictures are relevant. The red arrows indicate the shims VAG-alloys mentioned.

dumpee
06-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the replies guy's

So what needs to happen now is for the rear calipers to be stripped and cleaned out and a new set of pads fitted. The irony of this is that last December '07 it had it's 2 year service from a main dealer and looking at the brakes (front & back) none have been removed for a proper inspection, cleaning & lubricating sliding areas etc.

Just on a different note, is there a recommended time / mileage for a cam belt change (2.0 FSI)? Only now it's comming up to 4 years old and perhaps I need to start thinking about doing this as well.
:Blush:

Crasher
06-02-2008, 02:28 PM
The brakes are not stripped down on a service; this would take too long, it is visual inspection only.

Cam belt interval is 4 years.