PDA

View Full Version : Smelly when wet!!!!!!!!!

nidges2
07-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Have owned my 02 A4 avant for about 2 months and am becoming more annoyed when it rains. Shortly after a heavy downpour the interior of the car really and I mean really smells like stagnant/musty water. There are no wet or damp patches inside the car that I can see and I have checked the spare wheel recess. The smell disapears after a day or two. Anyone had anything similar or any suggestions?

jeremyh
07-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Does it smell before you start the engine (i.e. without the aircon running)? The aircon can sometimes cause musty smells.
Have you checked that the bonnet drain channels are clear (top of bonnet below the windscreen)? Try pouring some water here and make sure it drains quickly. Also check the door drain holes. Have you checked the spare wheel compartment to make sure it's dry? Just a few thoughts...

nidges2
07-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Cheers Jeremy, the car smells without the aircon running and have checked the spare wheel area. Will give the drain holes a go - many thanks for the reply.

jeremyh
08-11-2006, 09:53 PM
I had another thought - if you get a very strong smell that occurs shortly after it rains it is most likely to be caused by wet fabric (i.e. carpet or cloth covered panels). Have you checked the carpets and the door interior panels for signs of damp? You could try sniffing close to these areas too :)

dieselmonkey
08-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Does it make any difference if you shut off all the vents and turn off the air flow. Isolating the cabin from the engine compartment???