PDA

View Full Version : Rumbling / Grating Noise

sntee
05-02-2008, 06:19 PM
My '99 TDi 115 estate has started making an absolutely terrible noise.

Its a rumbling, scraping, knocking type noise that seems to be coming from the front of the engine bay. Its clearly audible from inside the car and out. Its constant but rises and falls with the engine speed, although I don't think its coming from within the block or cylinder head.

The engine and transmission / clutch are (currently) performing normally, as are the ancillaries (alternator, water pump, etc.)

It started quite suddenly and is definitely getting worse.

Other than that, all I can say is that its very loud and sounds expensive :zx11:

Anyone know what it might be?

Regards, Desperate noobie :1zhelp:

P.S. I ran low on oil a couple of weeks back, just until the warning light came on, but I filled it up straight away so I wouldn't have thought this would be related........

paulp
05-02-2008, 07:16 PM
if it from the front of engine check waterpump and timing belt tensioner

sntee
05-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Will do paulp. Thanks.

One other thing that may be worth mentioning is that when I topped up the oil, I over filled it :Blush2: by about 1/4 inch above Max on the stick, but the oil warning light stayed on (yellow) and has been on ever since. At first I put it down to a clever sensor that was telling me that I'd put too much oil in, but now I'm not so sure......:confused:

n793
13-02-2008, 03:26 AM
Its a rumbling, scraping, knocking type noise that seems to be coming from the front of the engine bay. Its clearly audible from inside the car and out. Its constant but rises and falls with the engine speed, although I don't think its coming from within the block or cylinder head.

The engine and transmission / clutch are (currently) performing normally, as are the ancillaries (alternator, water pump, etc.)

Other than that, all I can say is that its very loud and sounds expensive :zx11:

hi i jus developed the same problem 150bhp bora , loud knocking noise from manifold or sumwhere , scared 2 drive it sounds really bad ! , have you had ny luck ? need info thankss

sntee
13-02-2008, 04:48 PM
"hi i jus developed the same problem 150bhp bora , loud knocking noise from manifold or sumwhere , scared 2 drive it sounds really bad ! , have you had ny luck ? need info thankss"

May be the same thing.... mine was definitely coming from the front (belts and pulleys) area of the engine bay.
Turns out it was the bearing for the pulley / shaft that supports cooling fan. If yours is the same thing, you should see a significant amount of "float" on the pulley as the fan turns.

Mine's at the garage now waiting for the replacement part (which seems strangely difficult to get hold of) I've had a load of other work done at the same time (cam belt, water pump, tensioner, Frt disks and pads, suspension arms, Anti-roll Bar drop links, Major Service and a couple of minor repairs), slightly worried now that I'm gonna have to sell the wife and kids to pay for it all :(

Pauloz
14-02-2008, 05:05 PM

hi i jus developed the same problem 150bhp bora , loud knocking noise from manifold or sumwhere , scared 2 drive it sounds really bad ! , have you had ny luck ? need info thankss
Gearboxes are pretty sh1te on Bora's, could be bearings.