PDA

View Full Version : GTi Buddy

Tambaoga
04-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Just bought an '89 Golf GTi 8v. Problem - I don't know the first thing about repairing engines, nevermind fitting coilovers!
The car needs some TLC, and I cannot afford to pay a lot of money to a dealer. I have to learn to do it myself - I want to do it myself:D

Which is why I need a GTi Buddy - a mentor if you like. Someone in the know, possibly currently doing up a car, so I can understudy. In return they will get free labour for a couple hours a week. The idea is for me to hang around the garage and learn the ropes, so to speak ;)

The theme of my "restoration" project is going to be minimalism, in cash outlays and in mods! Autoglym paint restorer,polish and wax, a good scrub of the alloys and can spraypaint, vacuum clean and shampoo carpets - that's me.

I'm terrified to even touch a thing in the engine bay:o
Here's hoping a GTi buddie will come along soon..........:beerchug:

Captain Answer
05-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Don't be scared, cars are quite simple, particularly the one you've bought! I'd hit a post up on the Golf Gti forums and I bet you find someone in your area!

Tambaoga
05-02-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks a lot. It's got rather sad really. Last night I was outside 10 at night in the freeze popping the hood and studying the engine. Everytime I read a thread on here, I go off to have a look at the car engine!!

I still don't know which one is the vacuum pipe though! Oh dear! I have ordered a Haynes Manual and that'll show me where the effin' pipe is.
Oh, and there's the heater valve thingy to fit - prevents the heater matrix from exploding, apparently. At least I now know that there's a part called a heater matrix!
Should I take a mechanic's course? One of those vocational diplomas..
I am hoping to meet a guy who's building a car in South East London, Kent or nearby - if I help fixing their car, I might loose my inhibitions and gain the confidence to do my mine up.
Oh, and I need a garage.........

hagis
06-02-2008, 12:38 AM
Have a look for a course at your local college, I was going to do one but the evening course that was offered started to early for me to attend after work.

Captain Answer
06-02-2008, 02:35 AM
Thanks a lot. It's got rather sad really. Last night I was outside 10 at night in the freeze popping the hood and studying the engine. Everytime I read a thread on here, I go off to have a look at the car engine!!

I still don't know which one is the vacuum pipe though! Oh dear! I have ordered a Haynes Manual and that'll show me where the effin' pipe is.
Oh, and there's the heater valve thingy to fit - prevents the heater matrix from exploding, apparently. At least I now know that there's a part called a heater matrix!
Should I take a mechanic's course? One of those vocational diplomas..
I am hoping to meet a guy who's building a car in South East London, Kent or nearby - if I help fixing their car, I might loose my inhibitions and gain the confidence to do my mine up.
Oh, and I need a garage.........

A course might be useful if you fancy one, I think tinkering on your own is a good way to learn. Most jobs can be done on older cars if you've a few tools, haynes manual to follow, don't mind swearing and getting your fingers dirty BUT be safe if you are going to play with your own car, get a decent pair of axle stands