PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav Info?

Foringo
04-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Does anybody know anything about the Satellite Navigation System Plus? :confused:

When I buy a telly or practically anything else I go into every conceivable detail (driving my wife mad in the process) in order to pick what I think (right or wrong) to be the best choice…..but I just specified this system for £1,975 without really knowing what I’m buying!!

The brochure just has a basic description and the Dealer couldn’t provide anymore info. I asked if it had MP3 compatibility & an SD Card Reader and he said he ‘thought’ it would have as it wouldn’t (in his opinion) be down-specified, although I’m not so sure!

It’s TMC-enabled which I assume means that you can take out a subscription for this traffic avoidance service but can switch it off and ignore it if not required?

Any info would be appreciated.

browellm
04-02-2008, 09:34 PM
You will not need to purchase a TMC subscription. Audi have already effectively done that for you and the DVD carries the information to decode TMC info. TMC information is carried on the back of the Classic FM band in the UK.

Both the Symphony and Concert radios have the SD card reader and MP3 compatibility according to the brochure.

Foringo
04-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks browellm for clearing up my understanding of the TMC feature....sounds useful and even better I won't have to fork out more dosh!

The SE comes as standard with the Concert radio but if you specify Sat Nav it merely states ‘radio’…I’m not sure if the Concert radio is still included or if it’s replaced by an all in one integrated version....unless they include the Symphony unit which has the autochanger...all very confusing as the brochure isn’t very helpful!

browellm
04-02-2008, 10:16 PM
My interpretation is that you'll get the Symphony radio included - as the brochure mentions CD changer.

Vinnyg
05-02-2008, 02:24 PM
As far as I understand you do not get an SD card slot with the satnav. Should still play MP3 CDs but you have the option of AMI (audi music interface) instead. AMI replicates your iPod display on the satnav screen apparently but you have to pay another £35 for the cable. It connects in your glove box and also charges the iPod.

Two images below show centre console with and without satnav. In the first image you can (just about) see the sd slot just above the left climate control rotary switch. In the second image there is no sd slot.

http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/483577/audia46cm4.jpg

http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/117261/P1010989.jpg

Foringo
05-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the info...I'm not too concerned about the SD card slot as I probably wouldn't use it anyway but the player on my current car can play single mp3 disks which I find really useful & if this is capabilty is available with an autochanger this will be great. I won't bother with the ipod interface though as I have a Creative ZEN!

masonj
16-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info...I'm not too concerned about the SD card slot as I probably wouldn't use it anyway but the player on my current car can play single mp3 disks which I find really useful & if this is capabilty is available with an autochanger this will be great. I won't bother with the ipod interface though as I have a Creative ZEN!

I am just waiting for delivery of an A6 with AMI and I was reading some place that, with the correct cable, other players besides the iPod are supported. It may be worth looking into if the Zen will be supported. Someone also told me that USB memory stick would work, again with the correct cable.

Foringo
18-02-2008, 08:43 PM
I don't think that I'd bother too much as it seems more trouble than its worth connecting it all up. If the 6 disc changer can handle mp3 files then that will keep we going for weeks without having to think about much else (Terry Wogan on the way to work and my music on the way home...sad but true!). USB memory stick would be useful if built into the system as a dash feature but again I don't think that I would bother with cables. Given the price of Sat Nav I can't quite understand why there's not more detailed offical Audi literature available on it?

masonj
18-02-2008, 09:17 PM
I don't think that I'd bother too much as it seems more trouble than its worth connecting it all up. If the 6 disc changer can handle mp3 files then that will keep we going for weeks without having to think about much else (Terry Wogan on the way to work and my music on the way home...sad but true!). USB memory stick would be useful if built into the system as a dash feature but again I don't think that I would bother with cables. Given the price of Sat Nav I can't quite understand why there's not more detailed offical Audi literature available on it?

I agree, for the price of the kit there is scant information available, far more in fact for £150 TomToms.

With respect to the AMI, I currently have an aftermarket iPod interface in my Passat which works well but the control over the iPod is limited via the radio so am looking forword to the MMI / AMI combination. On the A6 the iPod is tucked away in the glovebox so is not on show and I assume the A4 will have the same.

Fair point on the MP3 capability on the 6 CD changer and for most will be more than enough but I have 50GB on my iPod and do about 25,000 miles a year.

Malcolm44
25-02-2008, 08:21 AM
I currently have the sat-nav in my B7 A4. Now I have ordered a new B8 model without sat nav. Reasons as follows.
The sat nav that audi provide only gives you directions, you cannot add any POI's. You dont get the full functionality of TMC dependant on your location. I say this as Trafficmaster (who supply TMC to the VAG group) collect data from my area but dont broadcast it over the FM radio network where I live. I would have to travel 100 miles to the central belt, get the information, travel home than drive the 40 miles to work to be able to use any info.
My opinion is that there is more functionality and usability from a hand held that uses the ITIS TMC service, and you can add your own POI's in it too.

cheers

alexcf
04-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Do anyone know if the Audi has a speed beep noise, so it alerts you if you go over 80mph, or that kinda thing?

Thanks,

Alex.

Bloater
04-03-2008, 07:01 PM
The A4 I test drove had the facility to set a ding or something at a predetermined speed. It didn't have Satnav, so would guess its a standard feature on all of them.

My B6 Passat also has it, but I've never used it.

Bloater

alexcf
04-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. It's more of a set it at 75-76mph then I know when I'm getting a lead foot ;)

Malcolm44
04-03-2008, 10:14 PM
That is from the DIS (drivers information system) in the centre of the instrument cluster. It can be set for two speed warnings IIRC. Nothing to do with the sat nav as the Audio sat nav has no facility to add POI's, speed cameras etc unlike the £150 options you can get from the likes of Halfords

B6Andy101
22-05-2008, 10:36 PM
That is from the DIS (drivers information system) in the centre of the instrument cluster. It can be set for two speed warnings IIRC. Nothing to do with the sat nav as the Audio sat nav has no facility to add POI's, speed cameras etc unlike the £150 options you can get from the likes of Halfords

Getting the Feeling you have bit of a downer on the sat nav M44 !!!

HighwayTG
23-05-2008, 11:34 AM
One of the main reason's I didn't order SatNav was that the £2000 option dosn't do the basic things my Garmin does like adding POI's and speed cameras.

Richmix
23-05-2008, 01:15 PM
I have a TomTom which cost me £200 and it's bang up to date with latest maps, speed camera's and POI's

I posted a question earlier about hard wiring the device into my new A4 (which is due on 2nd June) I know it's not as sleek as the on board sat nav but certainly a lot cheaper and probably more functional

HighwayTG
23-05-2008, 01:58 PM
My car arrives at the end of June but I will see if I can place my Garmin satnav with it's sucker attactment onto the A4's flat base of where the 6.5'' screen is located.

masonj
23-05-2008, 08:01 PM
My car arrives at the end of June but I will see if I can place my Garmin satnav with it's sucker attactment onto the A4's flat base of where the 6.5'' screen is located.

I would investigate a Brodit bracket, they are specific to the model of car and no holes have to be drilled, try www.mobilefun.co.uk but there are other sellers.

Richmix
23-05-2008, 09:32 PM
That's great, cheers masonj (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=32126)

Just looked around and read a good few reviews of the Brodit stuff and it seems these are the best around and come highly rated.

I've ordered this evening a bracket and the active mount. It came to fifty quid but after looking at photo's of the right hand drive B8, I feel pretty confident it will work and with no damage to the car. Ended up getting it from here http://www.dsldevelopments.com/

When my car arrives and I fit the bracket and I'll report back on both (car first though)

Nice one!:Blush:

masonj
23-05-2008, 10:32 PM
That's great, cheers masonj (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=32126)

Just looked around and read a good few reviews of the Brodit stuff and it seems these are the best around and come highly rated.

I've ordered this evening a bracket and the active mount. It came to fifty quid but after looking at photo's of the right hand drive B8, I feel pretty confident it will work and with no damage to the car. Ended up getting it from here http://www.dsldevelopments.com/

When my car arrives and I fit the bracket and I'll report back on both (car first though)

Nice one!:Blush:

I should be on a commission. Had one in my Passat with a TomTom One Mk2.

If you have an iPod I would also recommend the Audi Music Interface (AMI) can be retro fitted (using an official Audit kit) to the A6 (assume the A4 is the same) worth every penny. If not take a look at the Harmon Kardon or Dension solutions.

I hear what you say about the cost of the Audi Sat Nav and lack of POI facility. However, I went for this option on my A6 for 2 reasons;

1. I got sick of taking it out every time I left it.
2. People buying a used A6 Le Mans will expect it to be fitted and will help the residuals

For actual navigation I thought nothing could beat TomTom but the Audi DVD Nav is VERY good in this respect.

Finally, if you need a phone kit, don't **** about just get a Parrot professionally fitted. Call quality is so good people calling you will not know you are driving. I had a CK3300 in my Passat that has now been installed in my wife's 323d convertible. I have Audi's Bluetooth kit in my A6 and its VERY VERY good, can also be retro fitted but it would be very expensive.

MackemMan
23-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Yes you get an SD slot. It is brilliant!

I recorded 40 CDs onto a 2gb SD, & operate it in Shuffle mode. Just for fun I have another SD with another 40 CDs ready to use when I get fed up hearing the other music.

You don't need an IPOD or any other MP3 player. Just buy a SD card for around £7 (try Picstop) & a SD reader for a few pounds & download your MP3 files. Easy peasy.

Why have a 6CD interchanger when you have 40 CDs on tap.

You can also, if you want, write MP3 files to CD. But this can only hold up to 650mb - around 10CDs worth!

masonj
23-05-2008, 11:40 PM
Yes you get an SD slot. It is brilliant!

I recorded 40 CDs onto a 2gb SD, & operate it in Shuffle mode. Just for fun I have another SD with another 40 CDs ready to use when I get fed up hearing the other music.

You don't need an IPOD or any other MP3 player. Just buy a SD card for around £7 (try Picstop) & a SD reader for a few pounds & download your MP3 files. Easy peasy.

Why have a 6CD interchanger when you have 40 CDs on tap.

You can also, if you want, write MP3 files to CD. But this can only hold up to 650mb - around 10CDs worth!

I'm probably just greedy but I have an iPod with 50GB connected to my AMI as you say makes the 6 CD changer redundant.

Richmix
24-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Totally accept that if I had a couple of grand to spare I'd rather be driving around with an Audi fitted sat nav.

Because I haven't, I have to make my TomTom look like the obvious choice! The TomTom is a fantastic bit of kit but this is why I posted my first ever thread - to ask about hard wiring or alternative solutions other than having an awful sucker on the windscreen. I've already damaged one power cable whilst affixing and removing the device evey time I get out of the car - bit of a pain to be honest. Can't wait for my Brodit thing.

As far as the phone kit - Our Company is installing the Parrot so at least I will have a good hands free kit too.

Thanks for more top tips:Blush:

masonj
25-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Totally accept that if I had a couple of grand to spare I'd rather be driving around with an Audi fitted sat nav.

Because I haven't, I have to make my TomTom look like the obvious choice! The TomTom is a fantastic bit of kit but this is why I posted my first ever thread - to ask about hard wiring or alternative solutions other than having an awful sucker on the windscreen. I've already damaged one power cable whilst affixing and removing the device evey time I get out of the car - bit of a pain to be honest. Can't wait for my Brodit thing.

As far as the phone kit - Our Company is installing the Parrot so at least I will have a good hands free kit too.

Thanks for more top tips:Blush:

Agree on the succer, its also like putting a sign in the windows saying "I have a Sat Nav, please break into may car", been there also, twice :-(

mjb-a4
26-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Most car makers are charging way to much for built in 'Sat Nav', I was goin for it this time but the figures don't make add up.

So I will be using my HTC TYTN II with tomtom for Sat Nav it will be mounted with a Brodit Clip.

I'm using a Brodit Clip on my current A4 05 it's the best way of mounting addtional items. No windscreen sucker for me.

Also the SD card reader sounds far better than dragin around your iPod, SD cards are so cheap.

IMHO.

BMWBig6
26-05-2008, 01:32 PM
You guys are so lucky to be able to get traffic alerts on your SatNav. Here in the U.S. it doesn't even seem to be an option, even though TMC is here too (I have it on my Gamin Nuvi).

masonj
26-05-2008, 02:05 PM
You guys are so lucky to be able to get traffic alerts on your SatNav. Here in the U.S. it doesn't even seem to be an option, even though TMC is here too (I have it on my Gamin Nuvi).

Its by no means infallable but on the whole worth having.